Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: (Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?

ORIGINAL: rochkes

iclick,
I was very interested in your assessment of the lowers. I have only ridden one HD with lowers and it was an 04 Ultra. I had an 05 Heritage at the time. I first thought his brakes were dragging because of the rapid decel when I let off the throttle. I thought it was extra drag from the lowers, but after reading what you posted about it, I now believe I got the wrong impression about what lowers do to the aerodymamics of a bike.
I noticed that feeling when I first bought the SG, and adding the lowers hasn't increased it. In fact, they might've decreased it, and I think the fairing probably contributes to most of the sensation that the brakes are dragging. Again, mileage is perhaps a bit better with the lowers, and I've done nothing else in that time frame that would've affected mileage.

Anyway, I've never had the impression the HD batwing design is a particularly aerodynamic design. It'd be interesting to see how it would do in a wind tunnel with other touring bikes, including the RG and RK. Also, keep in mind that 04 Ultra probably had the older non-vented lowers which may have a higher CD (coefficient of drag) compared to a newer type with the vents open. I can't say for sure and am just speculating.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. I guess I have learned to never say never. I once told everyone&nbsp\\; that would listen that I would NEVER ride a Harley. I also told everyone that I would NEVER&nbsp\\; get old enough to ride behind a windshield.
&nbsp\\;
I am not saying I will NEVER ride a bike with lowers and I am not saying I will NEVER ride a trike. I am tired of the years and the miles changing my body and my habits and having to eat crow.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 80* I use one or the other. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/34857/0F9E34973475491397A8A48ED7AF0AB2.jpg[/IMG]