Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold Wings are better??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Loch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gold Wings are better??

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Is the GW a bagger or a dragger? Stock exhaust probably sucks on it too!

LOL! [sm=escape.gif]

Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock exhaust on a Wing totally sucks. I could ride my Wing through a library and nobody would notice. Unfortunately not many exhaust options for Wing riders. There are a couple of company making aftermarket pipes for the Wing. Makes it sound like a Wing with pipes - kind of like an angry bumblebee. No thanks - what's the point. I've still gotta make that cd recording of my SG so I can play it while riding my Wing.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

DANG............

i guess i dont fit in nowhere....

i like em both .. some day's i like the wing better, some day's i like the harley better...

my SO love's the wing ...

weet

Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

About 3 years ago, I was riding an '03 Anniversary Ultra and had an '04 Heritage on order. My brother, who has ridden metrics for years, convinced me to take a test ride on a Wing. My wife liked it so much that I bought one (an '04), sold the Ultra and took delivery of the Heritage. Having two bikes was great.

I rode the Wing to New York, down South, up into Canada and had it out in all types of weather and road conditions.

Good Points: Power, smooth ride, power, handling, power, brakes. And did I mention power?

Bad Points: Too high a center of gravity (you have to think too much about slow speed manuevers), throttle way too responsive, poor luggage (compared to the Electra Glides), crappy sound system, uncomfortable riding posture

I gave the Wing a real fair chance to convince me, and quite frankly, it failed.

Recently bought a cottage on a lake so I really needed a pontoon boat much more than I needed two bikes. I sold the Wing (took a beating on the resale), traded the Heritage in on an '06 Electra Glide Classic.

I couldn't be happier- I feel like I'm home again.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: carsoni

Hey Bibleman, do the christian thing and lighten up!
Nice quip.

Thanks for offering factual and insightful thoughts to the discussion. We've gotten so much further.

[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 PM
KenM
Road Master

I had a small Honda as a teenager and I don't ever remember saying "Gee I really want a big Honda when I grow up" or Kawasaki or Suzuki etc.

When I got my bike a year ago it was 12 years old and I could have had a new 1600 Vulcan for about the same money. I considered it. My wife said "ever since I've known you, the only bike you've talked about is a Harley Davidson, whay don't you get the Harley" (and she says I never listen to her)

I still don't hear kids saying - when I can I'll get a GW.

There's just something special about HD, and a lot of the other riders out there secretly wish they had one.
IMHO.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Caddilac or Lexus? Uma? Oprah? It's whatever works for you. It's all two wheels and a motor. The rest is art.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:25 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,cant wait to hang out on a Saturday morning at the Honda shop or go crusing with my buddies while they are all riding Harleys. That ought to be so much fun!! Yes ,Gold Wings are awesome machines ,but without the mystic and comraderie of the Harley Davidson.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 AM
FirstHarley
Cruiser

First new wing for me was a 1982 aspencade and last one was a2003 that had to have the frame welded and overheating issues.Sold it after a year to a guy wanting to build a trike.Power anh handling were great but the frame issue was the last straw.Bought a honda with a normal frame along with the new Ultra.Wife loves the ride of the Ultra as she would not get back on the wing after the first ride.They both have good and bad points..........JerryB.This is my six-carbed - six cylinder Honda.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a Goldwing for 2 years. It is quite machine. Tons of power, sport handling, plenty of room in the trunk and bags. That is about where it stops. It does have an overheating problem, too much plastic, foot pegs are set back too far, seat is too high, too quiet, all the chrome is plastic, it doesn't get good mileage on tires and stereo system is nowhere near as good as the Ultra. You can see the engine. You have to remove the side cover to check the oil and coolant. The crusie has a bad lag time. To me the seat was not comfortable at all. It pushed you forward. At 4000 miles the front tire was cupping and it had a low speed wobble. JUst a few reasons why I bought my 06 Ultra. BTW, frame had to be welded too. I sold a Valkyrie to buy the Wing, wish I would have kept the Valkyrie. I believe Honda made a mistake stopping production of the Valkyrie.

Quick Reply: Gold Wings are better??