Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold Wings are better??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:01 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gold Wings are better??

The global economy is coming down on us hard. As a Big Three autoworker (still with a job), I can attest to that. The future does not look very promising with the Koreans and Japanese increasing market share at an alarming rate. Does not seem to be much we can do to turn it around. Third world cheap labor is killing industry in North America. Mexico, China, the list goes on and on. Politicians sure as hell don't help to protect us (NAFTA)!

Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

It's not that the Govt. isn't doing much to protect our jobs. Hey, we're private sector, and this is capitalism. But they are not doing a lot to protect our national identity. Who we are, where we come from, our history, etc. What the Japanee are doing to us is self serving at best, and their philosophy is that they'll keep coming with whatever they have until we cave. For them, Busines is war, but the tariffs and other things present in Japan for allowing us to trade as freely with them as they do us is what is crippling our economy. No where else in the world would a Govt. do so much damage to it's own infrastructure to appease a foreign power as in the USA. No wonder everyone else thnks we're the greatest country in the world. I simply what it is that they really say about us behind closed doors.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: solorider

Goldwings are pretty impressive machines but if I wanted a small car, I'd buy a small car.

No offense to Goldwing riders.......
Yeah, but how many small cars run low 12 second quarter miles and cost less than $20k? There is a world of difference between driving a Honda Civic and riding an 1800 Wing. Like Cheyenne said earlier, the Wing is a very competent sport tourer. You would be amazed at how well the Wing does in the canyons that So Cal is so famous for. It's nothing like driving a small car, at least not in the 1800 configuration. Now the 1500 or 1200 Wings - those were sleds, and for them the comparison to a small car would be much more appropriate. But the 1800 is a totally different animal - much more nimble and powerful.

The Wing still doesn't have the soul of a Harley though. The Harley is raw and semi-uncivilized - very much a reflection of the American West. It's metal vs plastic, thunder vs silence, chrome vs chrome tape, simple "ruggedness" vs technological complexity etc...

I'm not trying to bad-mouth the Wing, after all I own one. What I'm trying to say is that comparing an 1800 Wing to a small car is inappropriate, as is comparing a Wing to an Ultra, or any other Harley for that matter. Different bikes with completely different target markets.

Doug

Old 03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
harleybob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gold wing is a very nice bike. Smooth but remember they are water cooled. Big difference here. I guy at work has a 05 Goldwing. In 05 Honda had a major recall on Gold wings. They had cracked welds in the aluminum frame. They had to strip the bike and repair welds in 3 places. And of course taking it apart and putting it together it got damaged. Go on a Gold wing site.They can pick a bike apart just like we do. LOL. Bob.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: UGGA

ORIGINAL: solorider

Goldwings are pretty impressive machines but if I wanted a small car, I'd buy a small car.

No offense to Goldwing riders.......
Yeah, but how many small cars run low 12 second quarter miles and cost less than $20k? There is a world of difference between driving a Honda Civic and riding an 1800 Wing. Like Cheyenne said earlier, the Wing is a very competent sport tourer. You would be amazed at how well the Wing does in the canyons that So Cal is so famous for. It's nothing like driving a small car, at least not in the 1800 configuration. Now the 1500 or 1200 Wings - those were sleds, and for them the comparison to a small car would be much more appropriate. But the 1800 is a totally different animal - much more nimble and powerful.

The Wing still doesn't have the soul of a Harley though. The Harley is raw and semi-uncivilized - very much a reflection of the American West. It's metal vs plastic, thunder vs silence, chrome vs chrome tape, simple "ruggedness" vs technological complexity etc...

I'm not trying to bad-mouth the Wing, after all I own one. What I'm trying to say is that comparing an 1800 Wing to a small car is inappropriate, as is comparing a Wing to an Ultra, or any other Harley for that matter. Different bikes with completely different target markets.

Doug
here we go again !!! lol !!!

i own both, my bike's are a goldwing 01 and a roadglide 94'
totaly differant !!!! i've putt a custom seat on my wing, which helped it out a bunch ! and of course the hi-way peg's, big help ! im 6'1' and short inseam, but now she fit's like a glove,
the power, and the quiet i love ! goes around corners like it's on rails !
for long haul, the wing is king.
on the other hand, my harley, is a great fit also ! i've rode gob's of miles on my harley, and loved every min !
my harley sounds awsome, look's great, and ? it's the most 'fun' bike i've ever rode,
then again ? my wing is a hoot to ride also !!!! im blessed to own both, i like them equally ,
overheating ? on the wing ? it's never happend to me. frame crack's ? none, nada. have had it checked, several time's, im in great shape, [course] my bike was one of the very early 1800's that was welded by alcoa, not honda,
my opinion ? is ride what you like, i like em both best....lol !!!
note: i did want the wing to pull a trailer, so i opted for the ABS option.

weet

Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Goldwing..... If I Have To Explain It To You, You Wouldn't Understand..... LMAO Man, I flat hate that expression! [sm=trust_me.gif]

I've ridden Wings 25 years. Over 125,000 miles the last 5 years. Sorry to say Harley has nothing to compete with it if you want a full blown touring bike. (My Opinion) I'd love to have two MoCo products in the garage instead of a Honda and a Harley. I've owned HD products since '69, so I know what they are and what they have to offer. I also do 25-30,000 miles a year. There are times during the year I almost live on a bike. [sm=biker.gif]

The author of the article that was mentioned in the first post now has about 90,000 miles on his '02 Wing. Fred even made a maintenance/repair video for the GL1800 that's on the market. I guess he decided to keep it. LOL!

I enjoy all scoots and I could care less what someone else rides or even if they ride. I've been able to put 4,000 miles on the RKC since Christmas and another 2,000 on the Station Wagon, aka Wing. That's all I really care about. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 916 Likes on 431 Posts

I've owned a Wing and ridden many, and I wouldn't have one if they were giving them away. It is faster than an Electraglide; so what? What isn't? For long distance comfort, the eglide can't be beat. And speaking of being beat, the wind on a Wing will beat you to death unless you add a bunch of side wings, flappers, and the like. Of course, the fact that the whole thing is covered in plastic is a nice touch---not. And because of this, the first step in even the most routine maintenance is "disassemble entire bike".

And for all those who have complained about HD's treatment of warranty claims, try having a warranty claim against Honda. There is a presumption going in that you're either lying, stupid, or both. And if you do happen to prevail, there's a very good chance that the part you need is still in Japan. Have a nice wait.

Uncle Peepers

Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
carsoni
Tourer

HARLEY, MADE IN THE USA,,,,NUFF SAID

Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: carsoni

HARLEY, MADE IN THE USA,,,,NUFF SAID
is it really??? lol

Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Randcoll
Intermediate

Goldwings are mechanically better, just not as cool. I read somewhere Goldwings are more American made than Harleys. I've heard enough Goldwing bashing, I think I'll go over to the Goldwing site and listen to some of them bash Harleys

Quick Reply: Gold Wings are better??