Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Lots of conversations from stock exhaust to True Duals. What will I gain if I go this route? I have a RKC with stock header pipes and rush slip-ons. Nice rumble not obnoxiously loud. If I spend the $$’s on True Dual headers and pipes will I gain sound, performance, both, or not much at all for the money. Just don’t wanna spend the $$’s on headers, pipes, fuel mgmt, etc…and come away disappointed. Honest opinions?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

don't know about the&nbsp\\;true duals but, i put on a V&amp\\;H 2-1 it sounds good but didn't really notice that much of a difference even with remapping my ole '03

Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True duals sound great and do relieve some of the heat put off by factory exhaust, they're not really great for&nbsp\\;performance. I guess, ask yourself why you are considering changing the exhaust, if its for more performance or better sound, looks,ext. then make your choice.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the benefits of true duals are reduced heat. also any hp loss can be recuped by slip in reducers at the head. since the left side stock is a dummy the use of aftermarket mufflers with stock headers is minimal. true duals with mufflers and free flowing will in crease hp about 7 to 10 hp. with out free flowing air cleaner no remapping is necessary

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the heat shield on the rear crossover pipe.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; cut about 4 inches out of the pipe where its round and plug with chevrolet freeze plugs, reinstall the heat shield and you have under $2 true duals.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my wife liked TD's because it removed the rear cyl right side pipe in front of her right foot and I like it for the looks and sound

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I like the looks and sound of he true duals well enough to give up a little low end tq.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

The following users liked this post:
Adirondack Bob (03-29-2022)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Rinehart true duals on my SG. I was totally dissapointed. Waste of money and not that loud. I installed the www.bigcitythunder.com baffles and now love my pipes. But then again I like em loud.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

remove the heat shield on the rear crossover pipe.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; cut about 4 inches out of the pipe where its round and plug with chevrolet freeze plugs, reinstall the heat shield and you have under $2 true duals.
i went the other way before i got the v&amp\\;h propipe...plugged my stocks to make a 2-1

Old 06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I tried it and was not impressed. The only heat change I noticed was that with TD my left leg got as hot as my right one. The sound was cool, kinda stereo-like, but also a little more high pitched on mine, not as low and rumbling. Plus they caused the bike to run ragged at low rpm so I tried a PCIII to correct that. It worked, but even after a good dyno there were other issues with the PCIII that were troublesome, so I took it all off and went back to stock headers and am very happy with the stock configuration.

Quick Reply: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.