Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyde
Why not just remove the baffles altogether?
Just for grins, I pulled the baffles out of my RH Slipons. Sounded like **** and performance fell WAY OFF. Don't waste your time with this modification.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i went with the fullsac duals and se mufflers and i am happy with the sound and
performance i also installed a arlen ness hot shot fuel management runs smoother
and cooler -ride safe

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the true duals were any good, Harley would offer them in their catalog. There is a reason Harley uses the crossover pipe, and it ain't for looks.

Interestingly, every NASCAR car uses a crossover pipe.

Sound? Sucks compared to a bike with a good set of slip-ons. I almost have to think that most people go with them because they think the name sounds cool............TRUE DUALS........say it...........it does sound cool. The fact is the only thing they give you is a loss of low end torque. Now if sound and performance is what you are looking for, go to 2-1, like Harley did on the '09's.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
04FLHRSI
6th Gear

I guess it is all what you're after.

If you want more horsepower and a MUCH better sound, go with the true duals. That is what I did and it was worth every penny. There is a minor loss of torque at low end, but you can't have everything right???

Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
SparkyUltra
Intermediate

I bought the Vance & Hines Big Shots with fishtails and haven't complained.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epNBz5HzpHI

Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

Originally Posted by xcelr8
If the true duals were any good, Harley would offer them in their catalog. There is a reason Harley uses the crossover pipe, and it ain't for looks.

Interestingly, every NASCAR car uses a crossover pipe.

Sound? Sucks compared to a bike with a good set of slip-ons. I almost have to think that most people go with them because they think the name sounds cool............TRUE DUALS........say it...........it does sound cool. The fact is the only thing they give you is a loss of low end torque. Now if sound and performance is what you are looking for, go to 2-1, like Harley did on the '09's.

xcelr8, how many true dual threads did you pull up and cut & paste this response on? I've found 3 so far!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't do it I used Rinehart true duals for a year and switched to a FatCat 2-1 there is no comparison.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by glens
Thank you.

I do not get the true duals cut down the heat bit. There is still the same amount of heat being generated. Where is it supposedly magically going? As has already been mentioned several times in this thread, it is disappearing from the right side of the bike but reappearing now on the left.
If you hold your hands close behind the muffler ends on a stock header Touring bike, about 75-85% of the exhaust is exiting the right side muffler. So, the rear header pipe on the right side is not only carrying its own heat, it's also picking up the heat from the front cylinder to some degree--aggregating the two to some extent. With the true duals, the rear cylinder header pipe is not acquiring any heat from the front cylinder. The aggregate amount of heat hasn't changed, of course, but there is no aggregation from both exhaust headers.

I have no data/research to support the above, however, intuitively it makes a lot of sense to me and definitely is what I experienced when switching to Rinehart TD's several years ago.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:54 PM
BigGstreetglide
Novice

thank you all for great info.i think the actual rider is the one to get info from not th stealership. think i'm going with the Fullsac convertion. i'm a penny pinching Harley owner.