Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

ORIGINAL: rocknrod

Whatever system you buy - Stay Away from Samson.
Thats all I have to say.
Why dont you like Sampson??

Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The performance loss is minimal if the bike is tuned correctly. If you compare the dyno graphs of the same bike true dual vs 2into1 vs stock w/slip-ons that is where you will see the differences.&nbsp\\;Correct tuning improves the throttle response which is what most people notice first.
&nbsp\\;
Everyone is so hung up on numbers. Just pick the pipes you like, get the bike tuned correctly by the best tuner in your area, and ride.&nbsp\\;If you want gas mileage then tell the tuner that is what is important to you, that is what I did and I have no complaints.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

The following users liked this post:
Adirondack Bob (03-29-2022)
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I've heard alot about the loss of low end tq with true duals. I have a pretty moderate build with 102 tq at 2800 rpms. I doubt you could squeeze more than another pound or two out of her with a 2 into 1 set-up.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a set of V&amp\\;H true duals on my 2008 SG, and used my existing Sampson Rolled Oval slip on's. I seemed to make them quieter because sound was coming out both sides equally. The right Sampson has yellowed some where they slip-on, mostly from the prier Road King Custom, and I wanted less noise so I went with a set of V&amp\\;H ovals. The V&amp\\;H ovals sound great, not to loud under 3000 rpm (nice cruising sound) but when you punch it, WOW, they come alive. The new V&amp\\;H Monster Ovals are out and I would seriously consider them over the standard ovals next time around. Here' a thread on the Monster Ovals you can check out.
&nbsp\\;
If you are looking for louder, then don't choose the ovals. There are others here that can recommend loud pipes. Or do a search.
&nbsp\\;
Making these performance changes will require a fuel management system such as a SERT or PCIII.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like my true duals.....don't notice the heat as much as i used to although the oil temp is still around 230.&nbsp\\; sounds better and i haven't noticed much of a diff with low end torque.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

&nbsp\\;True duals work just fine I have a set of RineHarts on my 07 they are plenty loud and run great. If you go to almost any sight that shows dyno graphs you will see that duals torque come on just a little later but the good part is the torque stays up in the mid range where the majority of us riders spend all or time riding most 2-1 have a rather large dip in there torque at about 3000 which is right where you need the extra torque.
&nbsp\\;The honesty the differance between true duals and a 2-1 set up is practiclly splitting hairs especially on a stage&nbsp\\;1 upgrade.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Get what you like just make certian you listen to the set up you are getting before you buy it, some systems sound real bad.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the fulsac tru dual conversion w/Rush 2.25 slipons.&nbsp\\; I like it.&nbsp\\; I cant tell any difference in low end tourqe, but Im not all that worried about it either.&nbsp\\; Its pretty loud.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
hitone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this? I bought a set of Kuryakyn Crusher slipons for my 2007 Street Glide. The instructions say that when installed on a 2007 96 cubic inch TC, the left muffler must be completely blocked off if you are leaving the stock headers and O2 sensors in place. They even provide a metal plate to do so with! Apparantly the 2007 bikes will draw cold air into the left muffler and screw with the O2 sensors. The plate is not used if you go with true duals or use the slipons with a 2008 bike.
I now have a great sounding 2 into 1 with 2 mufflers. Runs sweet and howls when I want it to. Anyone care to comment? I contacted Kuryakyn but they just told me I had to do it but not why?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
flhf150
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Put TD's on my RG. Never changed the PCIII. It ran great. Wife likes it cause there's less heat on the right side and it has a crisper sound.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When my 07 was stock I went to the V&amp\\;H TD and the only torque loss I saw or felt was on the dyno.
I recently tried the BUB 7 system, one with the crossover &amp\\; one without,I could feel the difference with the crossover,much stronger and it pulled cleanly. The crossover was a bit quieter at steady throttle but sounded about the same going thru the gears. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.