Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.

Sound!!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
speedglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absouletly love my TD's!&nbsp\\; I'm running Rinehart head pipes with CFR mufflers with HP Performance Plus II baffles.&nbsp\\; The thing rocks, and if I have a loss at low end, I don't notice it one bit.&nbsp\\; I have a Doherty intake and DTT EFI.&nbsp\\; My bike will hang with my buddies new 08 street and most times will outrun him!(that will likely change when he changes his AC and tune) The sound is incredible! It sounds like a bagger should ifn' ya axe me!&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

if you want more power go to 2 into 1
if you want better even sound and good looks&nbsp\\;go with the true duals
its a matter of taste

Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't say whether you RK is injected or carb. You might want to check out the Fullsac conversion for the stock system&nbsp\\;- eliminates the Y pipe and costs about $180. Very thrifty (fullsac.com).&nbsp\\;If you have a carb you can rejet and/or modify with a kit from DynoJet. You can do the same with a module&nbsp\\;for an injected bike. You will see more power, usually 6 to 10 hp. (and torque). Do the air cleaner also if you haven't already. You'll smile the first time you twist the throttle.
The best reason to be rid of the Y pipe is the interference at the Y where one pipe extends into the other at the welds obstructing flow and power.&nbsp\\;You can clean this up but probably won't feel like reinstalling that thing after all the trouble it&nbsp\\;is to remove.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
janman55
Road Captain

I like the sound of my V&amp\\;H Propipe 2-1 as well as any TD's I've heard.....plus the performance!

Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My RK is an 03 injected. I am really appreciative of all these opinions and options......keep 'em coming and thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chrome Sweet Chrome

Lots of conversations from stock exhaust to True Duals. What will I gain if I go this route? I have a RKC with stock header pipes and rush slip-ons. Nice rumble not obnoxiously loud. If I spend the $$’s on True Dual headers and pipes will I gain sound, performance, both, or not much at all for the money. Just don’t wanna spend the $$’s on headers, pipes, fuel mgmt, etc…and come away disappointed. Honest opinions?
The sound will change, but whether or not is a better sound is subjective. The downside to TD's is performance and cost, as low-end and midrange torque will suffer. Top-end HP will likely also suffer on any except highly modified bikes. Call Jamie at Fuel Moto (www.fuelmotousa.com) for more info on this. He sells many systems including TD's, so you'll get a fair shake from him on the pros and cons of each. And on that note, consider his custom baffles for your Rush mufflers with a PCIII and AC. This combo produces performance near or equal to a 2-into-1 system at a much lower cost, as you use the stock head pipes. I've had this setup on my bike and I'm elated with the sound, performance, and gas mileage (after making some tweaks to the PCIII map).&nbsp\\; I wrote it up here shortly after installing them last December:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2534631/tm.htm

Here's the Fuel Moto link. Notice the excellent torque curve on his dyno chart.

http://fuelmotousa.com/rush_fuelmoto

Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I've got an '01 RKC that I switched to V&amp\\;H Dresser Duals. Before I had stock pipes and V&amp\\;H Basic slip-ons. A great mod in my opinion. The sound is louder but not dramatically but is deeper and in stereo. It also has a great sounding glug-glug-glug while at idle. Sort of like a boat exhaust that is underwater. Opened up, she barks. As for performance, I couldn't tell by the seat of my pants. Note, I do have a Power Commander that I remapped when I did the switch.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever system you buy - Stay Away from Samson.
Thats all I have to say.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I love my true duals.&nbsp\\; I have them paired with the Oval slip ons.&nbsp\\; Great sound, plus you get rid of that open space near the right floor board where you can see the pipe underneath the heat shield.

Quick Reply: True Dual or not True Dual? That is the question.