Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 08 is burning up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
bsps1111
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 08 is burning up!

I bought an 07 ultra last May, read all I could on the subject, then decided to attempt a fix with a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (sert)&nbsp\\; and a Stage 1 filter (no exhaust change) myself.&nbsp\\; The hook-up to bike and a PC is simple.&nbsp\\; The PC software is intimidating as there are so many variables that can be changed and most likely should not be attempted by most of us.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;However....HD put a REALLY simple adjustment on the fuel management screen that lets you EASILY pick an rpm range and a&nbsp\\;PERCENTAGE you&nbsp\\; would like to richen or lean that chosen range.&nbsp\\; I figured if my engine was spinning 2500 rpm or faster my bike was moving and therefore self cooling.&nbsp\\; So I chose a range of 0 thru 2500 rpm and chose to increase the fuel in that range by 5%.&nbsp\\; I chose the download from the sert supplied disc for my bike with the stage 1 intake/exhaust (even though no exhaust change was made) and made the richening adjustment mentioned above, then downloaded it into the bike.&nbsp\\; All of the idle heat is gone.&nbsp\\; Some things nobody tells you about the SERT though.&nbsp\\; First...you CANNOT save the origional program that is on your bike from the factory. The OEM download is NOT on the SERT software disc.&nbsp\\; If you ever want it back you MUST have it reinstalled by HD for a price. NO...they will NOT sell you the program....they will download back into your bike only.&nbsp\\; SERT is a one way valve from your pc to the bike....nothing goes from the bike back to the pc.&nbsp\\; You choose a download that best matches the changes you've made on your bike from the SERT disc, you can then make any adjustments you want to that download, then send it to your bike with the SERT connection and this REPLACES the program in your bike ECM. This is the reason you MUST save your adjusted download that is in your bike.&nbsp\\; If not you must start over with an unadjusted download from the SERT disc as you will not be able adjust what you put into your bike.&nbsp\\; SERT can only replace it. Not that I would ever want to reinstall the OEM program unless I was planning on riding thru an Alaskan winter.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One more reason that, eventually,&nbsp\\; we will see a&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; liquid&nbsp\\; cooled&nbsp\\;HD motor..
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Upswept
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey nick56, I agree that we will eventually see a water cooled motor.&nbsp\\; But, although it will address the engine heat issue, it won't address the rider heat issue.&nbsp\\; I have ridden a Honda Valkyrie and the heat from the radiator blowing right into the rider is almost unbearable.&nbsp\\; I was glad to get back on my Harley after that journey.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Point Upswept! Tho you'll never get your engine temps down to 100 degrees F. Sitting over just that temp alone, will in time,... still cook you. Good example,... Sitting upon your seat after it has been setting in the sun. That heat experience felt at a constant. Will cook you.

RJ

ORIGINAL: Upswept

Hey nick56, I agree that we will eventually see a water cooled motor.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But, although it will address the engine heat issue, it won't address the rider heat issue.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have ridden a Honda Valkyrie and the heat from the radiator blowing right into the rider is almost unbearable.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was glad to get back on my Harley after that journey.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just wanted to add to what has been posted already. If you put your hand over the end of the muffler, you will find that most of the exhaust from both cylinders comes out of the right side. This makes the right pipe much hotter IMO. I installed duals on my Road Glide for that reason. Doing this also gets rid of that pipe on the right side that is next to your leg when you put your feet down while stopped in traffic. I also installed an AC and had my bike tuned with a SERT on a dyno. Installed an oil temp gauge, Amsoil, and an oil cooler. Bike runs at 190 all day long.