Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Female perspective on trips...what to bring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 08:11 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Default RE: Female perspective on trips...what to bring

I used to do the "pile it all on the bike" thing, but found any bike can get real unstable real fast if you pack too much too high up and way out back of the rear tire. In 2000 I got a Bushtec trailer and have pulled it behind 3 different bikes. I've found I would much rather have the weight in the trailer behind me than loaded on the bike. I realize that's not an option for everyone, but if you plan lots of bike vacations in my opinion a good trailer is well worth the cost.

Old 06-26-2008 | 11:55 AM
HD4Sal
6th Gear

My wife and I have done several 4000 mile trips over the last few years. It does depend on where your heading as out west a leather is not necessary, replace it with a good nylon jacket. GOOD Raingear is a must! I've gone from San Fran to CT and never felt a drop, but other times been drenched, don't skimp on the raingear. we always bring a pair of jeans in the T-Bag and wear another, usually bring 3 T-shirts (you'll find as you stop at different Harley dealers you'll buy a shirt and always come home with double what you left with). 3 or 4 pair of socks and skivvies. we plan ahead and reserve hotels a week in advance and our general requirements are that the hotels have 3 things, continental breakfast(no one wants to saddle up to find breakfast), a pool(the best after 8 hours of 100 plus heat) and most important.....Washing Machines!! most hotels have them. We wear boots that are comfortable enough to walk in (we stop at all the sights) and usually a pair of sneakers. I've done these trips on a Heritage Classic and now a Roadking Classic. I use the saddlebags as a trunk(tools, oil, jackets, raingear, etc.) We roll all of our clothes then pack them in 2 Gal size zip lock bags(hard to find but worth the hunt!) then sit on them while zipping and it gives them the "shrink wrap" effect You will be amazed how many you can stuff into a T-Bag. Planning to ride from Ct thru Nova Scotia thru New Brunswick to Quebec city, Niagra Falls back to Ct end of next month and this is how I'm planning it always works fine for us. Hope I helped cuz you are gonna get hooked on the long bike rides!!

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:00 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gambler

My wife wants to know what would other women recommend that she bring on a two week trip (other than the obvious). This will be our first long trip on the bike.

Thanks.
Dude, they don't make a bike that can haul all the crap a woman "thinks" she will need for a two week trip.

Give her one saddle bag and tell her when it's full, that's it! She can only add more if she gets rid of something else.

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:20 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

Don't forget to pack a small note pad &amp\\; pen...Trust me, you'll need it!

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:31 PM
wee
Novice

2 pair of jeans, 2 shirts, socks and skivies for however many days! 1 pair of jeans to ride in the other for dinner or evenings, will always buy more shirts!

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:58 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

got to add my .02 worth
We travel and camp all the time.&nbsp\\; Up until this year we tent camped, now I have a pul behind the bike Aspen pop up camper. But a few tricks I Learned.
+1 on rolling clothes
you can wear jeans for at least two days, shirts, socks, underwear new set each day
+1 on the rain gear for cool (not cold) mornings/evenings
get a good bag to mount on top of the tour pack. You can basically double your capacity
She will not need a hair dryer.
use the same shower/drying towel for two times. It will usually dry overnight.&nbsp\\; Find a campground/hotel w/ washer/dryer and do laundry.
Hope this helps.