Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"

Well.... as most of you know I have been a DTT TCFI proponent for quite some time. I have used both the IID and the III versions. Both are very nice and quite versatile units with which I have been VERY satisfied. I have made multiple trips across the counrty with the TCFI-IID and one recently with the TCFI-III.
&nbsp\\;
Until recently, I have not had anyone remotely close that I trusted to even attempt a SERT tune on my scoot(s). As a result, I have stayed with the DTT ignitions. Recently someone (I think it was AllanW)&nbsp\\;referred me to a Dyno shop I was not familiar with ~ The Dyno Difference, in Dallas. The owner / Operator (Ed) is a rider, like us, who was sick of not being able to get his own stuff tuned ride and set out to "fix it". Well.... I am here to tell ya, HE DID!
&nbsp\\;
About 6 weeks ago, I visited Ed's shop and we did some baseline and WFO testing / tuning of my HQ120.&nbsp\\; During that visit, Ed indicated that he would love to see how my DTT tune would compare to a tune he could do with either a SERT or DirectLink. Well.... That got me thinking, and I decided that I wanted to know the same thing! Things kinda fell into place and Ed was nice enough to agree to work with me on a tune on SUNDAY, so we did just that - this past weekend.
&nbsp\\;
The attached dyno sheet has two traces. One is the best run from my DTT (the blue one) and the other (red) is from the SERT tune. It is shocking to me that the two overlay each other&nbsp\\;so closely, but&nbsp\\;they did. Heck, they look like consecutive pulls, but they were actually done 6 weeks apart with different ignitions!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
At a glance, one would be inclined to think that there is no difference and if a DTT will get that close, then what's the difference? On paper, that is a valid observation. BUT... All I can say is THESE TUNES ARE NOT THE SAME! This F'er spins up SO FAST now and still pulls SO HARD, that it feels like a super hot 95" from a rev perspective, but has the ballz of the 120" stroke that it is.
&nbsp\\;
WOW!
Ed, if you see this.... YOU ROCK! Thanks!!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\;

Does he have any buddies in Wisconsin?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\;

Hey Phil,
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Is that the old Sert or is it that new one I have heard people talk about.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
speedglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\;

It would have been sweet to see some 1/4 mile times or something to validate your seat of the pants observations.&nbsp\\; Like you stated, they look very similar on paper, including power and torque curves.&nbsp\\; What would make it pull so much harder?
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

Always good info coming from you Phil...So the SERT stays? Right?
&nbsp\\;
Glad to here HP trip went well...Tim

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

I felt the same way about the T-Max.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;The SERT has been back in my&nbsp\\; bike for some time now.

Can I ride yours?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Please go into explicit detail on what it feels to ride a Harley with 157ft/lbs of torque[sm=insomnia.gif]...........PLEASE!!!!!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

Let's see if I can hit all those questions...
&nbsp\\;
He does have a buddy in Minnesota ~ Doug Lofgren.
&nbsp\\;
I have one of the original SERT's that were done by TTS, not the new one by Kent-Moore.
&nbsp\\;
The difference comes from the quality of the tune, particularlly conditions less than 100% throttle. There was much attention paid to "getting it RIGHT" and that's what makes the difference. I have been saying for a LONG TIME that folks should not get caught up in "numbers" and "dyno sheets". It has always pulled like a MF'er, but now it revs "stupid fast" AND pulls like a MF.
&nbsp\\;
SERT stays!&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Finally.... uh..... it fells prettydamngood!
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;

ORIGINAL: PhilM

The difference comes from the quality of the tune, particularlly conditions less than 100% throttle. There was much attention paid to "getting it RIGHT" and that's what makes the difference. I have been saying for a LONG TIME that folks should not get caught up in "numbers" and "dyno sheets". It has always pulled like a MF'er, but now it revs "stupid fast" AND pulls like a MF.
&nbsp\\;
There we go. Phil, that statement says it when comes to tuning. It is nice to have big numbers but if they are not in your useable RPM range then who cares.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: SERT Tune vs. DTT Tune on HQ120"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;

I am going out on a limb here, guessing you are happy with the Tuner and the SERT? Might have to do a HQ 113 and ride out there for a tune.