Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best mount for ZUMO 550 w/ Bat wing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008 | 12:12 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Default RE: Best mount for ZUMO 550 w/ Bat wing?

ORIGINAL: tpmurray
Nice install RonH - I was thinking of the same location. Much better than the handle bars. You don't have to look to the side to see it. Did you just use a Ram Ball with a threaded mount? I asked if anybody had tried mounting it in the center over at www.zumoforums.com but no one has responded. I would appreciate any tips & additional photos showing the mount itself if you have any.
Thanks - it took some trial and error but now works great.

No I did not use the ram ball - but made my own brackets from some old speaker wall mounts and other parts. I'll be glad to send you photos if you send me an email. No need to take up the space here. When I first mounted it I got a lot of vibration at various rpm, the trick for me was firming up the mounting spot and isolating the vibration with a tension bracket. Like I said - send me an email and I'll be glad to send you photos plus a diagram of how it all went together. I just got back from a 1200 mile trip and it worked like a charm.

Old 06-25-2008 | 12:45 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Ultra61

ORIGINAL: bagman1

ORIGINAL: Uncle Fester

I got the Kuryakyn fuel-tank mount. Works like a champ for me. Cleaner than the handlebar mounts, plus easy to reach with either hand. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
+1
\\\\\\;
What about the wire from GPS to power and the radio so the sound comes through the bike speakers?
\\\\\\;
Thanks for all the responses
I hooked it directly to the battery for now. I ran the wire under the console. Next time I remove the fairing I will hardwire it then. The only way I know to plug in for sound is thru the ext jack. Probably at the same time I will hook that up and incorporate the V1 to come over the speakers too.

Old 06-25-2008 | 02:49 PM
vinnieee
Cruiser

For power connecting I used powerletproducts.com (great guy's) I went with a 17" cord since I mounted my Zumo on the left handle bar.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
For connecting the Zumo to HD stereo input jack (covered by small rubber plug on the front of the HD stereo): soundprofessionals.com 3.5 MM (1/8 inch) right angle stereo patch cable - these are gold plated too for better sound.

Old 06-25-2008 | 02:51 PM
vinnieee
Cruiser

This is the best setup - right in front of you can't get better than that.
ORIGINAL: RonH

put mine front and center and am very happy with it

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/F3A1E9663F284620AE69EBE0EB062FA6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:20 PM
Ultra61
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RonH

ORIGINAL: tpmurray
Nice install RonH - I was thinking of the same location. Much better than the handle bars. You don't have to look to the side to see it. Did you just use a Ram Ball with a threaded mount? I asked if anybody had tried mounting it in the center over at www.zumoforums.com but no one has responded. I would appreciate any tips &amp\\; additional photos showing the mount itself if you have any.
Thanks - it took some trial and error but now works great.

No I did not use the ram ball - but made my own brackets from some old speaker wall mounts and other parts. I'll be glad to send you photos if you send me an email. No need to take up the space here. When I first mounted it I got a lot of vibration at various rpm, the trick for me was firming up the mounting spot and isolating the vibration with a tension bracket. Like I said - send me an email and I'll be glad to send you photos plus a diagram of how it all went together. I just got back from a 1200 mile trip and it worked like a charm.
&nbsp\\;
I would like Ron if you would please post some more photo and fabricating, I believe more than me is warming up to this idea. Thanks

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:22 PM
Ultra61
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: vinnieee

For power connecting I used powerletproducts.com (great guy's) I went with a 17" cord since I mounted my Zumo on the left handle bar.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
For connecting the Zumo to HD stereo input jack (covered by small rubber plug on the front of the HD stereo): soundprofessionals.com 3.5 MM (1/8 inch) right angle stereo patch cable - these are gold plated too for better sound.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks Vinnieee, Very good info

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:30 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the Quest mounted on the fairing also.&nbsp\\; I removed the mount, put hole covers on the holes (available at Lowes) they are black plastic plugs in various sizes.&nbsp\\; Then I added the padded dash panel from HD, which covered all but one hole plug.
&nbsp\\;
next, I mounted the zumo, using the included handlebar mount.

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:38 PM
Ultra61
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

I had the Quest mounted on the fairing also.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I removed the mount, put hole covers on the holes (available at Lowes) they are black plastic plugs in various sizes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Then I added the padded dash panel from HD, which covered all but one hole plug.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
next, I mounted the zumo, using the included handlebar mount.
&nbsp\\;
Being you were used to it being higher than the bars are you quite happy w/ it now mounted on the bars?&nbsp\\; and what side did you mount it left or right?&nbsp\\; and is there plenty of room on the bars for the clamp?
&nbsp\\;
Thank for all the responses.&nbsp\\; Tim

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:50 PM
RonH
Road Captain

OK - here's the link to the photos that I posted here a while ago. Not sure the explanation there is real good, but hopefully you'll get the idea:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3435100/tm.htm

At the very end of the thread is a drawing I made that shows the pieces and how they all fit together that will help identify some of the pieces in the photos. Again - feel free to email me if you want more info.

For me the key to getting the zumo to be still at idle and all other rpm ranges was to make the mounting area on the inner very solid with some spacers and brackets, get it mounted solid to that inner section, and get it as close as possible to the mounting point. So I only used the cradle, not the ram ball or any of that.

Hope that helps

Old 06-25-2008 | 05:27 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I agree that many of you have fabricated or used a factory mount other than the handlebar mount that works and looks better. But for me, it is the handlebar mount. My wife is usually with me if I am far enough away from home to need the zumo. She rests her pretty little head on my left shoulder when we are close to making a turn and tells me what the zumo would say if I was listening to it.
&nbsp\\;
She enjoys being part of the navigation and this is the only time I actually trust her advice when she is telling me how I should be driving.........
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Quick Reply: Best mount for ZUMO 550 w/ Bat wing?