Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long distance riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default long distance riders

While at ROT and I've seen ads in mags, I've looked at some of these "gel" seat pads. For those of you that have piled on 2-300+ miles at a stretch, have you ever&nbsp\\;used one? How well did it work or did it help at all?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: long distance riders

Personally, I like the Airhawk over gel, but to each his own.&nbsp\\; 300 miles a day is fine for me on the seat, I take the Airhawk for long trips, 500+ mile days.&nbsp\\; Anything under that I just leave it home .........

Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM
HOGinit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gel Pads were worthless IMO and for me.&nbsp\\; I do have a Pro Pad insert which is a polymer insert in my saddle cut into the foam and under the upolstery that works very well.&nbsp\\; It is always there and very comfortable.&nbsp\\; I think the only way to go is with a custom built seat.&nbsp\\; I spent two days at the factory and am extremely happy with my seat as is my wife.&nbsp\\; We have no problem with 500-750 mile days a 1000 mile day would be a walk in the park.&nbsp\\; Although there are those that do it on stock seats I am not one of them.&nbsp\\; I would not buy a seat off the self ie Corbin or Diamond etc.&nbsp\\; As far as I am concerned the only way to do it is to go to the factory and have them build one for you.&nbsp\\; I have done this with Corbin and been extremely happy.&nbsp\\; I just did it on my 08 with Advanced Seating Designs in Kilgore TX and am very happy with it as well.&nbsp\\; See picture below.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got over 60K+ on my two Corbins that I alternate, solo or dual touring.&nbsp\\; Bought the gel with the Alaska Wool over it.&nbsp\\; Gel could be removed.&nbsp\\; It's on the shelf, used once.&nbsp\\; Agree that gel ought to be incorporated into the seat to be any good.&nbsp\\; But the Corbin IMO is great for long days in the saddle.&nbsp\\; I rode from Rapid City, SD to home in Florence Montana in one day, 729 miles, not that big a deal.&nbsp\\; My buddy on his stock seat was draggin azz... For what it's worth, Corbin's service has gone down, but they still make a killer seat.&nbsp\\; CCRyder

Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

dont know about the gel pads but a mustang seat is most confrtable

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
johnica
Advanced

I got so used to my regular seat that when I put the gel pad on it was 1.5" higher and it made the bike feel completely different. It just didn't feel like my good ole bike, I'm sure after 80 miles or so you would get used to&nbsp\\;it, but I didn't even give it that long. Spend the money on a new seat or re-working yours-IMO.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no problem riding 400-600 mile days with my bikes equipped with stock Harley saddles. &nbsp\\; It's not the seat of the bike that needs fixing, it's the rider's butt that needs to be brought into shape.&nbsp\\; All it takes to do that is to put on miles and if you need it, a little time in the gym.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

&nbsp\\; I had a Gel seat on my Deuce and I can only say it was better than the hard stock unit. I ended up taking off and putting on a Corbin touring seat&nbsp\\;that was way better.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Once I got the Ultra I installed a Road Zepplin that has air chambers, we rode three weeks staight, usually 400 - 500 a day and never had a reason to complain about the seat. It does sit you up higher though.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto what Frog13 said.&nbsp\\; Forget the gel pad.&nbsp\\; If you need additional comfort, go with an Air Hawk.&nbsp\\; I've done several 10-12 hour days using one and they are a lifesaver.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Sheep
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cwickgo9

While at ROT and I've seen ads in mags, I've looked at some of these "gel" seat pads. For those of you that have piled on 2-300+ miles at a stretch, have you ever&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;used one? How well did it work or did it help at all?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Try this.&nbsp\\; Sold by one of the top LD riders in the country.
&nbsp\\;
http://www.beadrider.com/
&nbsp\\;
I have one.&nbsp\\; They work.&nbsp\\; Rider and passenger is about $50.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: long distance riders