Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips on buying my first Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Jato
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on buying my first Harley?

I'm looking to buy my first Harley. I've been on several test rides and really like the Road King. I will be looking to buy a used one since a brand new one is out of my range right now. I think I am going to look for the best deal I can find on one that is a few years old probably 2003 or newer. Are their any model years of the Road King that had problems and that I should stay away from also were there any troubles with the Road King in general that I should know about? Any tips would be welcome!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 AM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any tips on buying my first Harley?

consider what you will be adding to the bike after you purchase. If it will eventually look like a Electra Glide Classic you may want to get one of these&nbsp\\;.&nbsp\\; Road King was my initial first choice Harley but I ended up getting EGC

Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 AM
cirhere2
Road Captain

&nbsp\\;got a tip DON'T go buy a honda or BMW you will be alot happier and money ahead

Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about every year had there own set of problems - You should just get the one that Turns YOUR HEAD THE MOST for the $$$ you can spend... Theyre ALL GOOD in there own very special way - WELCOME TO THE DARKEST SIDE - Now Shut-Up and Ride (LOL)

Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't lose with THE KING. The only other bike I would consider, at least for now, would be a Street Glide because I would like to have some tunes. Instead of taking a beating on a trade, I have decided to go with a Dragonfly detachable fairing so I can have the best of both worlds.
If you're into cruising with some music, you may put a fairing in the budget. Other than that, buy the one that feels best to YOU.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:34 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I got some advice for you ..... don't whine about it here if you decide you don't like it and buy a service manual.&nbsp\\; [8D]
&nbsp\\;
Seriously, though, welcome to the forum.&nbsp\\; This is the place to get info and learn, so I suggest you soak up some knowledge here.&nbsp\\; As far as buying the bike, like the rest of 'em said, the one that turns your head is the one.&nbsp\\; I just bought a Road King, made my decision because of all the detachables.&nbsp\\; I can change it on a whim to whatever I will be doing, tour-pak, no tour-pak, windshield, passenger backrest, well, you get it.&nbsp\\; If you go with the Road King and set it up with detachables, you can have a "Town and Country" Glide.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Town and Country" Glide.
That's a pretty good one! Haven't heard that before but you're right- that's how it is. If you're out riding around town with a bunch of guys, you can strip it down but if you want to tour the country you can load it back up.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Jato, welcome to the forum.&nbsp\\; The Road King is an awesome bike....oh, who am I kidding, they're all awesome bikes!
I have heard that the 05s had some trouble, but not sure what it was. Other than that, I'd go shopping and find yourself a great deal. When you find one, post it here and see what everyone thinks.
Good luck, and have fun!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

I always liked and still do those 100 anny RKCs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Black and silver.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But I must say I like my suede blue pearl/vivid black RK.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I like the detaches too.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Good luck and welcome.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Oh, and if ya do buy used, do yourself a favor and decide what you need to make it a comfy ride.&nbsp\\; I added seat, hiway pegs, sissy bar for wifey,&nbsp\\; changed to heritage bars but they didnt give me the pullback i was after.&nbsp\\; So i went with the wild 1 508s.&nbsp\\; I will NEVER buy new again because of those reasons.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; $$$$&nbsp\\; You can sink a lot of it into one or any ride.&nbsp\\; Cya out there!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Theyre ALL GOOD in there own very special way - WELCOME TO THE DARKEST SIDE - Now Shut-Up and Ride (LOL)
&nbsp\\;
I thought Road Glide owners were the only ones on the Darkest side LOL.
Sorry I am no help for you for your bike choice JATO, whatever you decide as long as it is an HD you will be welcome to the family.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Any tips on buying my first Harley?