Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whining Rear

Have you changed your tires?&nbsp\\; I switched to the Metzlers and the rear is a little wider than the original Dunlop, I&nbsp\\; noticed that the flap between the belt and the tire rubs the tire just a hair, it is not damaging the tire but it makes an odd noise while going down the highway. I notice it most when traveling on concrete&nbsp\\; or next to walls that echo alot.&nbsp\\; I just found it after reading this thread and answered my own concern.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine goes in tomorrow for the same thing.&nbsp\\; At 22kph rolling it starts to howl like a banshee, but the sound is on the brake side not the belt (2007 FLHX).&nbsp\\; I'm also having them "look" at the dragging brakes front and rear.&nbsp\\; This is not a belt problem (I'll post when they give me the "never heard it before...not warranty" story.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
RKTonyC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thanks everyone for their input on this issue. Before I did anything, I decided to check the easiest before digging into anything. So I pulled the bag off the left side, and checked the belt. And, you got it, it was tight as hell. I adjusted the it properly, and the damn noise is gone.

I was going to remove the rear wheel and change the rear bearings. And if&nbsp\\;I did it blindly, I would have missed it it being just the belt, and thought it was the bearings. I hate it when simple things are over thought.

But, I did check into the cam tension problem more&nbsp\\;after Fla Glide's suggestion. Its defintely a big problem for a lot of people, so Im glad you brought it up man.