Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 04:34 PM
solorider
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Good Deal???

Hey All,

My brother wants a Street Glide and is looking to sell/trade his Road King. His current ride is a 2001, concord purple, fuel-injected, RK that he has added SE pipes to, as well as some bling and a detachable backrest. The bike only has 5,000 miles and has been meticulously maintained. His dealer's offer for an '06, black cherry, fuel-injected Street Glide with standard rims was to take his Road King plus $6,000.

Any opinions?

Old 03-06-2006 | 04:51 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Default RE: Good Deal???

Botton line for dealers, whats the BlueBook. Bling is choice. ask what he can remove and still keep the numbers

Old 03-06-2006 | 04:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Why not just sell it private and then make the best deal on a SG. For sure you will save a few $$$.

Old 03-06-2006 | 05:23 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I gotta take the other view here - He has a pristine bike that he has only put 5k in about 5 years give or take - Why part with the 6 grand now? I would wait until the Street Glide demand dies down a bit and see where the market goes - doesn't sound like he has to rush into anything given his current set-up - Just my thoughts - kess

Old 03-06-2006 | 05:25 PM
redscout
Road Captain

Here in Indiana, we crunch the numbers before we automatically assume selling the old one outright is the best way to go. Since we only pay sales tax on the difference (in this case $6k), sometimes it's cheaper to trade. Sales tax on $20K is $1200, and on $6K is $360, so there's an $840 difference we have to consider.

For the most part, we probably can get more selling it outright, but if it's not close to those numbers, then the hassle factor comes into play as well.

The $6K doesn't sound too bad, but I'd definitely think about uninstalling anything that would fit on the new one if it doesn't help the price of the old one....

Old 03-06-2006 | 05:31 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Not a good deal tell your brother to sell his bike to someone other then the dealer.

Old 03-06-2006 | 05:57 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

I vote to sell and then buy. Remember the dealer is buying low to mark up and make a profit. Might take a little while but the RK has EFi and is low mileage. Shouldn't be too hard to sell. He could sell at a slightly lower price to move the sale along faster and still not have to cough up the whole $6k difference.

It sucks, but most times patience pays off.

Primo

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:17 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

KBB Says $10,380 Trade-In
KBB Says $14,860 Retail

Not sure what Bling he has, but that's usually ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for.

Is that $6000 the difference OUT THE DOOR? or before taxes and all the other BS?

As said see what he can take off and either sell or install IF anything on the SG, then go from there.

It kind of seems, without knowing what the bling is and cost associated with it a decent deal

OTD for the SG will be around $20,000 so it seems they are giving you retail.

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:35 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

KBB Says $10,380 Trade-In
KBB Says $14,860 Retail

Not sure what Bling he has, but that's usually ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for.

Is that $6000 the difference OUT THE DOOR? or before taxes and all the other BS?

As said see what he can take off and either sell or install IF anything on the SG, then go from there.

It kind of seems, without knowing what the bling is and cost associated with it a decent deal

OTD for the SG will be around $20,000 so it seems they are giving you retail.

Good points made by Cheyenne but you must also take into account what the true market value is. Check around on sales prices online or wherever and get a true idea of what the bike is worth on the open market.

FYI: A search on the H-D website showing used bikes available shows an average price of about $16k for bikes of the same age with a minimum of 12,000 miles.

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:53 PM
bluesgub
Cruiser

You might want to wait more into riding season and pick up a couple thousand from the dealer unless you're really anxious and don't need the money. The bike will probably sit on the dealer's floor for awhile. I had a similar offer when I bought my Street Glide and walked out the door leaving a sale behind but picked up $3000.00 for the bike I was going to trade in by selling myself. Since I'm in California you can wait a couple of days for sunny, hot weather unlike mid-West and Northern States. My bike was paid for and the insurance was paid for 6 months so I wasn't in a big hurry. You have to figure that the dealer wants to make a couple of thousand off the bike and has to have the service people go through it but $6000.00 sounds really low.

Quick Reply: Good Deal???