Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was using wrong torx

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
ultranut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was using wrong torx

Did an oil change along with primary &amp\\;\\\\\\; tranny today. Switched everything over to HD syn 3. Two of the 5 tork bolts stripped out. Had to use easy out to get loose. One wouldn't come so used a chisel to get it loose. SUCKS!! Got some new bolts from HD shop and when I went to tork to the proper lb's, 2 of them stripped again, tightening them. I'm using a craftsman T-25. I'm slightly tapping it in before tightening to proper tork, and it still strips.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Harley shop said this is a very common issue. They told me to drive the next size up tork head into the bolt with a hammer to get it loose??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;That idea&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;sounds like trouble to me. Pisses me off cause&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I bought&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;5 chrome bolts and 2 are now stripped already just waiting for the next oil change "challenge". None of the five bolts are torked properly. There all good and tight, but not 84 and over. There has got to be a better way? What about socket heads. I was always told they strip even easier than tork?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
ultranut
Advanced
Default RE: Derby cover bolts don't SUCK!! I had wrong tool

Whats with the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; showing up on my posts?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts
Default RE: Derby cover bolts SUCK!!

ORIGINAL: ultranut

Did an oil change along with primary &amp\\;\\\\\\; tranny today. Switched everything over to HD syn 3. Two of the 5 tork bolts stripped out. Had to use easy out to get loose. One wouldn't come so used a chisel to get it loose. SUCKS!! Got some new bolts from HD shop and when I went to tork to the proper lb's, 2 of them stripped again, tightening them. I'm using a craftsman T-25. I'm slightly tapping it in before tightening to proper tork, and it still strips.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Harley shop said this is a very common issue. They told me to drive the next size up tork head into the bolt with a hammer to get it loose??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;That idea&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;sounds like trouble to me. Pisses me off cause&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I bought&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;5 chrome bolts and 2 are now stripped already just waiting for the next oil change "challenge". None of the five bolts are torked properly. There all good and tight, but not 84 and over. There has got to be a better way? What about socket heads. I was always told they strip even easier than tork?
&nbsp\\;
Part of your problem might be that those take a T27.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

damn dude, that sucks.&nbsp\\; but you can't really bitch about them since you did it by using the wrong size tool.&nbsp\\; i have never had any problems on my road king (cause i learned the hard way on my sportster! lol) but, use a quality tool (not harbor freight!), tap it slightly to seat it fully, don't overtorque when tightening, and use some anti-seize when reassembling.&nbsp\\; that should help alleviate any issues that you might have.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: stro1965

ORIGINAL: ultranut

Did an oil change along with primary &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; tranny today. Switched everything over to HD syn 3. Two of the 5 tork bolts stripped out. Had to use easy out to get loose. One wouldn't come so used a chisel to get it loose. SUCKS!! Got some new bolts from HD shop and when I went to tork to the proper lb's, 2 of them stripped again, tightening them. I'm using a craftsman T-25. I'm slightly tapping it in before tightening to proper tork, and it still strips.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Harley shop said this is a very common issue. They told me to drive the next size up tork head into the bolt with a hammer to get it loose??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;That idea&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;sounds like trouble to me. Pisses me off cause&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;I bought&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;5 chrome bolts and 2 are now stripped already just waiting for the next oil change "challenge". None of the five bolts are torked properly. There all good and tight, but not 84 and over. There has got to be a better way? What about socket heads. I was always told they strip even easier than tork?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Part of your problem might be that those take a T27.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
+1 and the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ question answer read any topic in this LINK

Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
swood
Intermediate

Don't worry about tightening those primary cover bolts to specs....those are the softest screws....get them snug, and leave it....they won't leak.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I've been lucky as I've not stripped a Torx yet. I do make sure I'm using the correct size and a good bit.
&nbsp\\;
As said before, those are T-27 screws, not T-25. I suspect that's your problem.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
ultranut
Advanced

Well it would appear that our local HD shop is using the wrong size tool as well &nbsp\\; They are the ones that told me to be sure to use a good T-25. I am using a craftsman set, not Harbor frieght. Guess I'd better get the right tool next time. I still think the bolts are pretty damm soft. They drilled out very, very easy for the easy out. I just got back from a little ride and nothing is leaking so we are good. BTW, I thought that tork tool didn't fit tight enough

Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
ultranut
Advanced

test post for sig

Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
G wizz
Cruiser

Here is an easy fix to this old and ongoing problem. Replace the torx head screws with stainless steel allen head screws. I've done this with&nbsp\\;all the&nbsp\\;Big Twin Harleys in my family (a dozen and counting) It sure makes screw removal a lot easer next time around.
You should be able to find the stainless screws in the correct size at any good hardware store.
Use a little BLUE locktite on the screws and DON'T torque them too tight. You will never have this problem again.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;G wizz

Quick Reply: I was using wrong torx