Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Drive

Here it my dilemma, I put in gear drive cam’s now after the bike worms up I get a constant ticking noise. I know it must be the cam plate expanding and allowing more lash in the gears. My question is which gear should I replace first with an over size\\\\\\; a cam gear or the pinion gear? They’re about $95.00 each from Andrews so I would like to guess right the first time. What’s your best guess? All checked good when I first put it together, I thought.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 AM
empireking13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear Drive

I HAVE THE WOODS W9F GEAR DRIVEN CAMS WITH A .650 LIFT AND I GET A BUNCH OF TICKING AND TAPPING. IT WORRIES ME BUT THE SHOP THAT BUILT THE MOTOR SAYS DONT WORRY ITS FINE AND I CAN LIVE WITH THE NOISE. ALSO TRY ROLLER ROCKERS AND DIFFERENT LIFTERS TO QUIET THE NOISE.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 AM
SubZer0
Road Master

I have a Feuling cam plate, lifters and a hi volume oil pump with Andrews 26G cams. The noise just drives me nuts. I know its the gears because it only makes the ticking nose after it worms up I think if it were anything else it would do it all the time. Just can't figure out which one to try first.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master

I had that sound when I firdt did my cam job and I had a push rod that wasn't adjusted tight enough.....It only surfaced when it was warmed up also....

Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 AM
SubZer0
Road Master

Well I guess it couldn't hurt to try again, mabe the 3rd time's a charm.[:@]
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: White Knight 04

I had that sound when I firdt did my cam job and I had a push rod that wasn't adjusted tight enough.....It only surfaced when it was warmed up also....

Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 AM
EddyD
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ul][*][1] Get the rear tire off the ground and the transmission in 5th gear. Install the two intake pushrods only. Do NOT extend them.[/ul][ul][*][2] While holding the front intake pushrod against the lifter, roll the engine until the front intake pushrod is as high as it will go. This will insure that the front intake is full open on the camshaft, and the rear is fully down on the camshaft.[/ul][ul][*][3] Adjust the rear intake pushrod and wait 15 minutes. Then make sure you can roll the rear intake pushrod but there is no up and down play.[/ul][ul][*][4] While holding the rear intake pushrod roll the engine until the rear intake pushrod is all the way up. The rear intake valve is now full open and the front is fully closed.[/ul][ul][*][5] Adjust the front intake pushrod and wait 15 minutes. Then make sure you can roll the front intake pushrod but there is no up and down play.[/ul][ul][*][6] Install the two exhaust pushrods. Do NOT extend them.[/ul][ul][*][7] While holding the front exhaust pushrod against the lifter, roll the engine until the front exhaust pushrod is as high as it will go. This will insure that the front exhaust is full open on the camshaft and the rear is fully closed.[/ul][ul][*][8] Adjust the rear exhaust pushrod and wait 15 minutes. Then make sure you can roll the rear exhaust pushrod but there is no up and down play.[/ul][ul][*][9] While holding the rear exhaust pushrod roll the engine until the rear exhaust pushrod is all the way up. The rear exhaust valve is now full open and the front is fully closed.[/ul][ul][*][10] Adjust the front exhaust pushrod and wait 15 minutes. Then make sure you can roll the front exhaust pushrod but there is no up and down play.[/ul] [/align]

Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM
SubZer0
Road Master

That’s the way I have adjusted them before. I don't think it is lifter noise but rather gear noise, just can't figure out which gear.