Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no more windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 10:13 PM
az232
|
Cruiser
Default no more windshield

I've owned my 06 RK for about a year now and today was the first time I removed the windshield and went for a serious ride.&nbsp\\; This might sound crazy but it rode like a whole different bike.&nbsp\\; It ran better, I could control it better, it cornered way better.&nbsp\\; It was like I was on another bike.&nbsp\\; I think it even looked better.&nbsp\\; Am I nuts or can removing a windshield make that much of a difference?

Old 06-20-2008 | 10:20 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Default RE: no more windshield

Go ride on the highway for&nbsp\\;long enough and you'll want it back. Trust me. Mine has saved me from lots of large bugs and rocks too, I might add. I do understand what you're saying though. I also like the look better without it.
&nbsp\\;
I usually ride a day or two without it, after washing it, but it's back on for highway riding.

Old 06-20-2008 | 10:26 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain

I always ride with the windshield when on hiway rides. but if ride in town i take it off. the wind on the freeway kils my neck. it does corner better because you dont have the force of the wind pushing on the front end. and yes it looks much better with out it.

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:15 PM
az232
|
Cruiser

I would also use the windshield on the highway but a lot of my riding is non highway (commuting to work, etc.) and it definitely rides like a different bike without the windshield.

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:51 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

i thought of getting a bike without a fairing at one time till a bird dropped some dukie on my windshield and i said no way the wind shield stays it would have hit me wright in the mouth if it was not for my windshield. lol

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:55 PM
kb
Intermediate

you get far less wind resistance= less drag=better handeling

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:04 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

You won't think that when a big black bird hits your chest or your head at 70 MPH like the one that hit my windshield. I can live with the windshield just because of the protection it offers and don't see that much difference in the handling of the bike.

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:15 PM
kb
Intermediate

I did'nt say it was safer. I said it handles better.

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:29 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I&nbsp\\;second the&nbsp\\;"looks better" and "handles better"&nbsp\\;without the windshield but I&nbsp\\;usually ride the interstate so I need the windshield.

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:39 PM
Randall
Cruiser

I ran my 05 roadking for 400 miles without a windshield one day.&nbsp\\; it was so much nicer to ride, but the weather was beautiful and i had a plump full T-bag to lean on.&nbsp\\;Getting around semis was like a bead blaster to the face but great besides that.&nbsp\\; I also ran 100 mile without last weekend and nothing to lean on, was pretty stiff and sore in the shoulders and neck when i was done, and im only 25, i woulda thought i could handle it better than that!

Quick Reply: no more windshield