Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no more windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:54 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: no more windshield

I seriously doubt the actual handling is substantially different either way. More likely it is the difference in perception between having the wind essentially slightly at your back or full-on in the torso. These bikes are heavy. If they weighed half as much, then I would believe a difference in handling one way or the other.

I would even be inclined to think the overall aerodynamics are better with the windshield as opposed to without.

I took mine off my RK Classic once and only got halfway to town (about 5 miles distant) before I felt the pain in my lower back from fighting the wind. The riding posture is all wrong for a full-on wind assault to the torso. In order for that to work the feet have to be back under the rider's center of gravity and the handlebars have to be positioned such that forward lean of the torso is balanced against the wind blast so there is no pulling against the handgrips. With a setup like that the saddle is almost immaterial and you can ride all day long, only stopping for fuel. No need for highway pegs, backrest, or anything like them.

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:10 PM
Sol
Tourer

The x-tra tall windshield of an FLHPI does make a difference as to how the bike feels. Best thing I found was to get a 2nd shorter windshield. Use the tall WS for road trips, the shorter for around town &amp\\; none for barhopping.

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:16 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Always an eye opener when ya come up across a hard rain @ 80mph (lol)

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:02 PM
az232
|
Cruiser

I'm not an engineer but I don't see how handling can be better with a windshield.&nbsp\\; The windshield would have to cut through the air literally pushing it aside as you ride.&nbsp\\; This would have to make the engine work harder to go the same speed you would be going without a windshield, wouldn't it?&nbsp\\; I'm guessing your gas mileage would be a little better without a windshield.&nbsp\\; As far as birds hitting your face or chest, etc. there are thousands of bikers out there without windshields (there are probably more without than those that have it)&nbsp\\;that seem to ride all the time without having large animals fly into their face.&nbsp\\; I'm not advocating riding either way but to keep a windshield on because someday a bird might hit you in the face seems a little megacautious.&nbsp\\; I wonder if the people that have a windshield to protect them also wear a helmet.

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:08 PM
monza66mo
Cruiser

I don't know about handling better but I do notice that hiway riding w/o the shield seems to be less effort.I think the tall shield catches wind and makes it feel like I am fighting the front wheel.Shield-less seems to pull easier too.Consider a short shield like this:

Old 06-21-2008 | 06:20 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I suppose it did make you look better.&nbsp\\; They were talkin about ya all the way back here.&nbsp\\; 8-)