Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Quarters????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Head Quarters????

&nbsp\\;I have decided to do a HQ 103 this winter, I have no problem at all with the mechanical end of the project but I am a bit of a computer retard, I do have a friend that is a computer tech.
&nbsp\\;What I am interested in, is hearing what is involved in&nbsp\\;getting the bike set up after the biuld.
&nbsp\\;I know people here will say to call HQ's but I would like to hear first hand what you encountered setting up the computer&nbsp\\;on the bike.
&nbsp\\;I will talk to HQ when I get closer but I really like hearing&nbsp\\;first hand experiences, and I'm sure this is there busy season and I don't want to waste there time yet, when you guys can quite possilbly&nbsp\\;answer this question.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;07 Road KIng

Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM
tom73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head Quarters????

What tuner do you plan on using? SERT or other? Also do you plan on using an auto-tuner in place of the SERT or in conjunction with it.
&nbsp\\;
If you plan on using the SERT it is relatively easy to load a tune into the bike. As for tuning it you can make some adjustments by checking head temps and a lot of test riding. The best way to get the most out of it is to have it dyno-tuned however.
&nbsp\\;
I have a few maps that I have tried so far with my HQ set up. I am hoping to have the final dyno-tuning later this month. Depending on your AC and exhaust one of these may get you close.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

dyno tune is the one place ill spend the dollars.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Give Kevin at HQ a call.&nbsp\\; Their busiest time is the is actually winter.
&nbsp\\;
Also, if you buy the kit from HQ directly, Kevin will help with the tuning, especially if you use a&nbsp\\;SERT.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running a DTT TCFI-IID &amp\\; TCFI-III for quite a while. It is an "auto-tuner", BUT it can only do what YOU tell it to do. So.... if you don't give it proper input, it does not give you the best results.
&nbsp\\;
I am about to try a SERT - FINALLY! [8D]&nbsp\\; People far smarter than me have been encouraging me to give it a try for a long time. Now that I have found a tuner that I am comfortable with, I'm gonna give it a shot.
&nbsp\\;
As Carl mentioned, if you buy direct from HQ, they will give you a "starter" map for a SERT that will be reasonablly close.
&nbsp\\;
Bottom line, it's not that big's deal and there are plenty of us here that can help ya along the way.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

&nbsp\\;I do have a SERT now,&nbsp\\;HQ's sight says that they have a something you add onto it and you have to use a computer to do upgrades&nbsp\\;or something, it's totally confusing to me.
&nbsp\\;Part of my problem is the only dyno within 500 miles of me is run by the local Harley dealer and I don't trust them to do a tune on a set up like this. They are not very nice people and pretty set in there ways.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm not sure of what is confusing you.&nbsp\\; Kevin from HQ will provide you with a map&nbsp\\;to load to your ECM using your SERTthat does require a computer since the map is a computer file that must be transferred from your computer to the ECM via the SERT.
&nbsp\\;
HQ also sells a Pro-Tuner that permanently installs on the bike to maintain AFR to pre-determined values HQ has set-up for their buildscall Kevin if you want more details.
&nbsp\\;
If you call kevin, leave a detailed voice message of what you want to knowhe'll call you back.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: jag1886

I do have a SERT now,&nbsp\\;HQ's sight says that they have a something you add onto it and you have to use a computer to do upgrades&nbsp\\;or something, it's totally confusing to me.
Part of my problem is the only dyno within 500 miles of me is run by the local Harley dealer and I don't trust them to do a tune on a set up like this. They are not very nice people and pretty set in there ways.
&nbsp\\;
I'm running a HQ 95" Touring build with SERT and their Pro Tuner. Last year when I did the build I consulted Kevin about a map to get me to close enough to ride it about 30 miles to the dyno. I had it tuned and was not very happy with the results. I took it to another place for some more tuning wich was closer but not quite right, I had some pinging issues. This winter I bought the Pro Tuner and had Kevin help me out with another map, I can say now I have what I wanted to begin with.
I did have to do some tweaking of the&nbsp\\;VE tables in the map to get it closer and now the Pro Tuner does the rest. The timing is pretty dang close, it has zero pining and seems to run&nbsp\\;100% better than what I had last year. Unless something pops up I'm not screwing with it anymore, it starts and runs pretty damn good. I echo what everyone else is saying about giving Kevin a call.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

get the HQs 107 u wont b disappointed &nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: jag1886

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I have decided to do a HQ 103 this winter, I have no problem at all with the mechanical end of the project but I am a bit of a computer retard, I do have a friend that is a computer tech.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;What I am interested in, is hearing what is involved in&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;getting the bike set up after the biuld.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I know people here will say to call HQ's but I would like to hear first hand what you encountered setting up the computer&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;on the bike.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I will talk to HQ when I get closer but I really like hearing&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;first hand experiences, and I'm sure this is there busy season and I don't want to waste there time yet, when you guys can quite possilbly&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;answer this question.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\ \\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;07 Road KIng