Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can we expect with Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What can we expect with Ethanol?

I have a customer who uses various air cooled engines on equipment and found out that since Ethanol has been introduced to our local gasoline stations, he has been experiencing heat related issues to his engines.&nbsp\\; Scored cylinders along with other heat related damage is forcing him to prematurely overhaul his air cooled equipment.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Since our bikes are all air cooled and with the 2007's and later models running hotter than previous models, I'm wondering what we can expect in the near future for problems due to the addition of Ethanol?&nbsp\\; My owners&nbsp\\;manual states that 10% or less of Ethanol will be OK to run, but I also wonder if this has been thoroughly tested enough&nbsp\\;for Harleys engines?&nbsp\\; I guess time will tell........what are your thoughts regarding this?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What can we expect with Ethanol?

I ran 10% ethanol in my 02 Dyna for 5 years, nearly every tank with no problems. I've been running it in my 08 Ultra since I bought it with no problems. 2000 Nissan Xterra and 2004 Honda Accord have been burning it since new with no problems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of ethanol, but around here its hard to find a station that doesn't have it, and its been that way for more than 10 years.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

When it comes right down to it, what choice is there?&nbsp\\;Sorry, but it's just somethin' we gotta live with. Ride it 'til it won't go no more!
&nbsp\\;
Now, if ah could jest git the better half out the door, we'll be on the way ta the Dakota's!&lt\\;pout&gt\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than a 5% loss of gas mileage, power should be as good, and the engine should not run any hotter.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I would think if you stick with 10% or less everything would be fine.&nbsp\\; - Tom

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

&nbsp\\;I have run 10% blend in everything I own sence about 1973 not one single problem.
Older auto and carbed bakis had some rubber parts that did not stand up to it very well thats long sence fix.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:38 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ethanol "should" burn cooler than gasoline, hence the lower economy... takes more of it to get the same energy.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Trouble you run into is with higher amounts of it in your blend the injectors can't flow enough to make it run properly.&nbsp\\; Might cause a lean condition??&nbsp\\; At any rate, it will run like crap.&nbsp\\; That's why not all vehicles are "flex fuel" as GM calls it, but they can handle up to 10%-ish.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slightly less gas milage, continued upward pressure on grain prices that eventually trickles down through the rest of the food chain and negative pressure on the world's ecosystem due loss of natural growth areas being cleared to meet the demand. Oh, and it is corrosive. Vehicle manufactures have made the parts that come in contact with it resistant to corrosion, but still. My guess is that this is what is causing the failures of the 08 fuel pump housings. The manufacturer did not make it resistant enough. The good news is that it will not make your bike run any hotter. The EPA does that. Google Ethanol and the University of Minnesota. Lots of information there written by guys with PHDs after their names. Ethanol is very inefficient, in that it takes a lot of energy to produce. Bio diesel from soy beans on the other-hand is something like 93% efficient.
There are stations that sell pure gasoline in my state (MN). There are a couple near my home and I have a 4 page PDF file listing stations that carry it. On the pumps it says something like "for collector cars, boats and motorcycles only". If anyone wants a copy let me know.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 AM
clayguy
Cruiser

What to expect with ethanol?.......High gas prices...it ain't cheap to produce. If those a$$holes in congress would let us drill for oil in the USA, we woudn't be in this current mess. The enviro's have held us hostage for over 30 years!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the Minnesota riders, below is a link to stations reported to sell straight gas...
&nbsp\\;
http://www.msra.com/NonOxygenatedFue...st03.01.08.pdf
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tpmurray

Oh, and it is corrosive. Vehicle manufactures have made the parts that come in contact with it resistant to corrosion, but still. My guess is that this is what is causing the failures of the 08 fuel pump housings. The manufacturer did not make it resistant enough.

I've been told this before, about it eventually eating up gaskets in the intake and top end of other motors.

Quick Reply: What can we expect with Ethanol?