Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:33 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Actually, you can brake too hard with ABS. The difference is, ABS saves us from paying the usual consequences, but engaging the ABS will negatively effect, i.e., lengthen your stopping distance. As I said before, the "perfect" rider would never activate the ABS or, in the other case, lock up his brakes.

Of course, if you do engage the ABS, you're still WAY better off than locking your brakes which not only lengthens stopping distance, but also involves skidding which can lead to a loss of control.

The phenomenon you describe of having the ABS engage on a bumpy road is the exception to the rule because with the wheel off the ground because with no road friction to stop it, any brake pressure is going to either cause the ABS to engage or cause the wheel to lock up in a non-ABS scenario. There's no real solution for this one except what you did........ride it out.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
ratcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that "superbikes" or racing bikes, get there max. stopping power when the wheels is spinning 25-30% slower than the actual bike speed.
Does anyone know what the wheel speed reduction of Harleys ABS is?
&nbsp\\;Is it the same on a wet road at 50mph, as compared to a dry road at 50?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not have turned it down but I am not a patient man, and the model on the floor did not have it... I was not gonna wait. Do I wish I had it, yup. I been riding longer than it has been legal for me to do so, and I have done ok thus far. I agree that they should just be standard, but it will have to wait til the next bike, if there is even a next one. I love this one very much...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain

I think some people here think that ABS will make them stop quicker when in fact you can actually have longer stopping distances with abs engaged. The abs just prevents the wheel from locking, not on the shortest stop. Havent had to use them but I am glad I have them.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
chaswood
Cruiser

YOU CAN BRAKE HARD IN THE RAIN AND YOU DONT SLIDE OR LOOSE CONTROL.
&nbsp\\;
LOVE THEM
CB

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser

I have the ABS brakes on my Ultra and love them.

With riding a motorcycle normally, you have to work to keep the brakes from locking. If you lock the front you have to get off right away and the rear you need to stay locked. So if you ride this way then the ABS will never get invoked. But if you have a stop where you do lock the brakes you can not worry so much about loosing control. I wish I had them on my Softail Custom.

It does not make sense to hate ABS to me. They only help you from getting in trouble....

Phil

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
ratcat
Tourer

Ok,.....You guys make a strong argument.&nbsp\\; If I was to buy a bike today, I'd get ABS.&nbsp\\; But I got say, My brain is hard wired into nursing those wheels into it's sweet spot of braking.&nbsp\\; It's hard to brake old habits.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

I would definitely get them again, even though ABS was not an option I had originally planned on purchasing.&nbsp\\; When I crested over a small hill and immediately transitioned from pavement to gravel and had a tight right turn&nbsp\\;to negotiate quickly, I was damned glad I had the ABS.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 AM
txcomp
Cruiser

Someone please tell what school makes the students lock their brakes during exercises.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 AM
txcomp
Cruiser

I would like to meet a bunch of grey haired instructors with nervous twitches and mounds of paperwork to fill out.

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?