Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 AM
ratcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

This is a great topic, and there is no right or wrong anwser, and I do value the Troops comments, even though I ride with out ABS
ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

ORIGINAL: Roadjunkie1

I take issue with ABS.&nbsp\\;
The more tech crap that's on your bike, the greater the chance of failure.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; There is no getting around it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
Technology will never replace experience or common sense.
How about being struck by lightning or having the earth opening and swallowing you up? ABS or not, you're likely screwed.

&nbsp\\;but the idea of brake training is to learn how to NOT lock up your brakes.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of your wisdom and input on this new feature from Harley Davidson. I applaude Harley for stepping out and giving us this most interesting option. My opinion is that I really like them, but that's just my opinion.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for all of the great and informative post. HDF is a great forum and I for one am extremely happy it exist.
&nbsp\\;
Thank you HDF members.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't ride here in New Jersey&nbsp\\;without them.&nbsp\\; Having ABS on a BMW a few years back saved my life when a cage with a driver on a cell phone moved into my lane when my front tire was even with the driver-side front door.&nbsp\\; Use it once and it pays for itself.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ABS and I really like them. Folks that I've heard speak against them don't have them. Everyone that I know that does have them would buy again.

Get them.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Rocky Rox
Intermediate

Let's see...ABS could save my life in the split second I need it. What better investment is there? I love having it and hope not to need it.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 AM
granpa
Intermediate

I just got them on my new 08 UC just because they were there. I had a close call last week, first time I really needed them, they worked great saved me from an accident.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It may be hard to describe to those of you are so happy with ABS.As I have said before,have always enjoyed driving high performance vehicles,with high performance braking systems,including my motorcyles.Learned a long time ago how to&nbsp\\;scrub speed in and on these vehicles in the most efficient ways possible,ABS takes that control away.Also, as I have said before ABS is great for those that do have that ability.The question was asked, I answered it to the best of my ability.I had to use the brakes with ABS,hard once on my personal commuting vehicle,the pulsating pedal made me feel like I had absolutely no control over the situation.What is good for the goose, is not always good for the gander.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 AM
DILLIGAF
Advanced

&nbsp\\;
In no way am I bashing HD's ABS, I think is great that they are putting some tech safety into there bikes now. But as for compairing them to BMW's systems....HD is just coming up to speed with ABS. Beemers system have been around for quite a while,&nbsp\\;a higher sensor rate, (not just one ring sensor on the rotor), Automatic traction control, alot more CPU power for processing. They are just better at it, that's all.
And HD is just better at making a machine that I happen to think is the best in my stable..
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

ORIGINAL: DILLIGAF

.......The ABS is awsome. It's light years beyond HD's system. And I would not want it on my streetglide.
In what way is the Beemer ABS "light years beyond HD's system"? I'm really curious.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

It may be hard to describe to those of you are so happy with ABS.As I have said before,have always enjoyed driving high performance vehicles,with high performance braking systems,including my motorcyles.Learned a long time ago how to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;scrub speed in and on these vehicles in the most efficient ways possible,ABS takes that control away.Also, as I have said before ABS is great for those that do have that ability.The question was asked, I answered it to the best of my ability.I had to use the brakes with ABS,hard once on my personal commuting vehicle,the pulsating pedal made me feel like I had absolutely no control over the situation.What is good for the goose, is not always good for the gander.
In reading your comments, I'm not sure you fully understand what ABS does and doesn't do. It has zero effect on your ability to efficiently (read skillfully) control your braking. Properly applying the brakes on a bike with ABS is no different than properly applying them on a non-ABS one. The goal is to apply the brakes up to that threshold point just before the brakes would A. lock up on a non-ABS bike or B. the ABS would activate on an ABS bike. This is the point where your brakes are most effective and where you'll get the shortest stopping distance. Again, ABS has no effect on your ability to do this.

If you applied your brakes hard enough to engage the ABS and feel the pulsing, the plain fact is, you braked too hard. If you'd been on a non-ABS bike and passed that same threshold point, your tire(s) would have locked up and skid and you'd have had more to contend with than a strange feeling.

If a rider could brake perfectly every time, then he/she would never skid his tires on a non-ABS bike and never engage the ABS (feel the pulsing) on an ABS bike. However, no matter how skilled and/or experienced we are, none of us are perfect 100% of the time and this is where ABS shines because the bottom line is, pulsing brakes are better and less dramatic than locking your wheels and possibly going into a skid, something that won't happen with ABS.

P.S.- Nothing trumps training and experience and the greater skill that comes from them.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
winston chopper
Tourer

I had another experience hitting bumps at low speed hearing the big CLUNK and feeling the bike stop breaking and glide through when it should be slowing down. Disturbing to me. Each time I was stunned it was happening and rode it out with out breakin harder. Just wondering, What would happen if I needed to stop. I didnt break too hard , I breaked gradually like a normal stop. Abs is to stop vehicles from locking up. Its a good thing and you cant break too hard. That is an oxy moron. I still think they are good. I was ok without , its just the future of brakes. This is the only problem I can find. IF anyone has driven a car with ABS on ice you can understand. I also have to say some "experts" in this post need to get over themselves!!!

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?