Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

This just might be the biggest no brainer in the history of Earth. The only possible downside to having ABS is that it activates should you be in position to lock up one of your wheels and prevents the lock up. I can't possibly see a problem with that, unless someone thinks that it is better to lock up their wheels and risk losing control of their scoot. If for some reason you enjoy having the potential to easily lock up your wheels then by all means, ABS is probably not for you. I know all of the "learn to ride better, practice, etc" arguments and agree with every one of them. For those with superior, perfect, near god like bike riding skills, ABS, even if installed, will never be used. The superior skills will allow these types to never be in an emergency stop situation, and better yet, should they ever face an emergency braking situation, they will, with utmost skill, bring their bike to a stop in the least space and time while never even coming close to locking up their their wheels. So, at worst, having ABS is simply and unused feature, never to be used. However, for us mere mortals, who acknowledge that they may have "oh s***" moments, having ABS just might save our skin.

Bill

Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love em so far.&nbsp\\; Kind of like four-wheel drive on a vehicle that&nbsp\\;rarely goes off-road or drives in snow....you may never need it but if you ever do&nbsp\\;you're sure glad to have it.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XTrooper3936

[/quote]

"The idea of brake control is to learn how to NOT lock your brakes."

Exactly,

And for those who have not learned the lesson, ABS might just save their life.
&nbsp\\;
I don't have them on mine but have ridden bikes that do and I don't&nbsp\\;mind them a bit.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Krusr

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that only those WITH ABS support it. And those with mechanical brakes who still fight hydraulic brakes on their bike are against it. Wonder why?[8D]

Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

And yet some of the superior riders out there say I'd rather Lock My brakes and lay the bike down if I'm gonna hit a cager!&nbsp\\; Good Lord ...this is coming from people with 20-30+ years experience!&nbsp\\; The brakes seem like they won't stop as quick...but rest assured...they do!&nbsp\\; Especiialy quicker than skidding.&nbsp\\; Like I said earlier...Situational awareness is tantamount...but we are not psychic and SH*T HAPPENS!

The Don't lock your brakes idiom is a good one...but when things do go wrong...sometimes it's not the first thing you think of.&nbsp\\; Perfect Practice makes perfect...but not everyone does practice...especially enough to make a difference when the situation goes south!!&nbsp\\;

ABS is...and will be the safe thing for all riders no matter who you are.&nbsp\\; Give it abit...your insurance will credit you for it...Mine does!&nbsp\\;

Mike

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

rocknrod...before I bought a bike with ABS I supported it!&nbsp\\; Why you might ask...because they are the safest thing for the masses!&nbsp\\; Plain and simple.&nbsp\\; It's just a no brainer...it's that the guys without don't want to give up control...plain and simple...and I can understand that.&nbsp\\; But since I'm a medic and have picked people up off the road for a living...I'll chose safety anytime!&nbsp\\; But this goes along with the helmet issue...free choice!&nbsp\\; The first time you pick up a guy with his head crushed in a bike accident...you change your&nbsp\\; mind.&nbsp\\; SO...safety is primo in My book!&nbsp\\;

Mike

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
BillinNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 1 ABS event and was damn glad I had them.&nbsp\\; I waited to purchase an '08 model specifically because of the availability of ABS.&nbsp\\; I like them.
&nbsp\\;
-Bill-

Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
phipsi74
Novice

&nbsp\\;
I just got an 08 Street Glide w/ ABS.&nbsp\\; I've put on about 1000 miles in 10 days and LOVE the brakes on this bike.&nbsp\\; I've got a 93 Softail Custom that has PM brakes on it, and the Brembo's on the SG are a TON better.&nbsp\\; I've not had the ABS kick in, but brake feel is awesome and I really like not having to worry about locking up the rear brake when stopping fast at a changing light...then fighting the urge to let off the locked brake and keep it locked.
&nbsp\\;
I'd have ABS on all my street bikes....wouldn't want it on a dirt bike, of course.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Zack
Cruiser

I do not understand why Harley-Davidson didn't offer ABS sooner.&nbsp\\; When I have completed their customer survey after purchasing new HD's&nbsp\\;over the years I have always noted that I would much rather have ABS and that many other brands have it available.&nbsp\\; Finally...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Lt James
Tourer

Been riding 27 years so I think I've passed the "learn to ride" part of the naysayers verbage against ABS. I think it's one of the best options you can get on a new bike.

And yes, for people riding a long time it's counter-intuitive to just grab a handful of brake without regards to how hard you pull in / push down. I've done 75% of my riding on liter sport bikes where too much front brake would send you over the bars in a hurry or high side your *** onto the asphalt, that said, it really didn't take me long to adjust to ABS.

It saved my *** yesterday when some bitch on a cell blew a red light and tried to merge her SUV into my bike. Did it stop me sooner than I could have without it, I dunno. But it's definitely easier on someone without a lot of experience to keep themself safe.

I'm completely for ABS.

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?