Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
StrongIslander
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Hey Dilligaf, Thanks for the clarity, I knew that, but, got caught up turning the phrase...

Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

I do not have them because they were not available on early build 08s like I have. That said, I have never read anything negative from the people that have them.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Before my '08 SE Ultra, I rode an '03 RK and then an '06 Ultra.&nbsp\\; I have yet to trigger the ABS, but just knowing it is available greatly increases my confidence while braking.&nbsp\\; That said, the Brembo brakes are a fantastic step forward over the brakes on the earlier bikes.&nbsp\\; Their progressive feel and stopping power are superior.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
axe11
Cruiser

I did a vacation road king rental a couple weeks ago, and it was the first time I had used the TBW or ABS. Being used to cable throttle and regular brakes, I thought there would be some getting used to factor going on. There wasn't, for me anyway. I put on 1200 miles on that road king with ABS and wire throttle and, if there was any getting used to it, it must have happened as soon as I fired it up because&nbsp\\;I didn't notice a thing different braking or throttle-wise. The ride&nbsp\\;was a&nbsp\\;usual for a road king ride and I had no complaints. I had to brake hard a few times but did so&nbsp\\;how I usually apply brakes and didn't notice a difference. So, in my opinion, whatever the improvement there is, the&nbsp\\;TBW and ABS&nbsp\\;work&nbsp\\;just fine. When I ever get a new flhtcu, I sure won't mind the ABS or TBW.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Keep safe,
&nbsp\\;
axe11

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

There is no downside to having ABS.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM
flight
Tourer

This is the single best feature on my 08 sg.&nbsp\\; I demontrated the abs on a gravel driveway for a guy that has been riding harleys for 30+ years and he could not believe his eyes.
&nbsp\\;
Steve

Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
easyonmenow
Cruiser

Best improvement in rider safety to date for hd...I have used mine stopping for changing lights that I could not stop in time for&nbsp\\;before abs...

Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i agree with FLHRSD they should be standard on all bikes

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roadjunkie1

I take issue with ABS.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Seems Harley is getting away with the simplicity that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;we knuckle busters have come to enjoy.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; After 35 years of riding in the Midwest, all I can say in regards to ABS is "learn how to ride"!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I don't mean that in a negative sense.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; That ABS system may fail on you some day.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Having recently taken&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;an Advanced riders course, there are a few drills that involve locking up your wheels. All riders need to know how to respond to a "lock up".&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; What is a bearing froze?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;A Tranny locks up?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; What will ABS do for you in the event of a Blow out? You're on your&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;own then baby!.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Makes about as much sense as an Airbag on a Goldwing.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Please don't misunderstand me, ABS is great technology, have it on both my personal vehicles and is a godsend in the snow and ice. Thats the big issue as IMHO, I don't ride my bike in the ice and snow.
The more tech crap that's on your bike, the greater the chance of failure.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; There is no getting around it.
Technology will never replace experience or common sense.
If your ABS "fails," you have normal brakes without ABS. There is no downside to ABS. None. Blowouts? Locked tranny? How about being struck by lightning or having the earth opening and swallowing you up? ABS or not, you're likely screwed.

BTW, I've had motor officer training, and attended the ERC course on every new bike I've purchased. I don't know what "exercises" you're talking about, but the idea of brake training is to learn how to NOT lock up your brakes.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
winston chopper
Tourer

I have seen many possitive things and near misses where riders praise their abs for their survival and I have no doubts its true but I notice when you hit a very bumpy area at low ( crawling) speeds they go into a lock mode for lack of better term. I was riding on the grass to get off adirt road in the country yesterday and hit some bumps coming to a stop, and it locks up on the bumps and glides without stopping seemingly pushing me an extrta 6 feet or so before engaging. This happens on the pavement too. I feel the clunk and it seems they lock and are almost not even engaged. Every time i havnt had to stop completly but I am wondering if there is a car in front of me and I have to stop, will it stop? It sure doesnt feel like it???

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?