Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?

At first I just accepted the ABS brakes because it happened to be on the bike I wanted, the 105th anniversary Ultra. Although I have not been in a near accident situation I have tested them on gravel and have become a firm believer in them, they will be on all bikes I own from this point on. I have seen at least a couple threads here talking about accidents where the bike went down because of a rear wheel lockup in an emergency situation. I firmly believe if those bikes would have had ABS they wouldn't have gone down.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
FLHRSD
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think they should be standard equipment.&nbsp\\; Have had to use them yet.&nbsp\\; Don't notice any difference with them vs. non ABS.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

I wouldnt be surprised if they aren't standard on the 09's. The only thing I see you give up is going to a single side rotor. Sooner or later someone will fix that also.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
bob_kikkert
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the best thing a bike could have.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have made one emergency stop and they performed perfectly.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My son is a motorcycle police officer and all of his colleagues and motorcyle trainers think that this is the best thing ever added to their Harleys.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; A lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by locked-up wheels and if every bike had ABS then perhaps these could be avoided.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Of course, proper braking techniques are still required and ABS will not help you in certain situations but overall they are a great safety addition.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Incidentally, I wish those who think they are useless would provide some valid reasons for their opinion... (dog155)

Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
DILLIGAF
Advanced

I&nbsp\\;have an 07 streetglide w/o the abs, I do not like the 08 models.( NO&nbsp\\;DIS-RESPECT &nbsp\\;it's the round tank,&nbsp\\;ABS, curved gas tank console...)&nbsp\\;That is one of the reasons I opted for the 07. My HD is a raw, loose frame, driving couch, noisy, heavy SOB. I like that about it.
&nbsp\\;
On the other hand my 2004 K1200LT Beemer, has every damn thing a car has except 4 wheels. And I can rip a gravel road apart with it, ride in the rain with no limits. I ride the **** out the thing. But that's what it was made for. The ABS is awsome. It's light years beyond HD's system. And I would not want it on my streetglide.
&nbsp\\;
I guess it all in what you like. It's your bike put what ever the hell you want on it.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
StrongIslander
Cruiser

ABS is without a doubt one of the best improvements in recent technology.&nbsp\\; Was at an accident just last night involving a sport bike.&nbsp\\; Car pulled out in front of him, @ 30mph he locks the rear brake and scoot goes down.&nbsp\\; The motorcyclist is 60 yrs old, been riding since he was 20.&nbsp\\; NO ABS, 15 ft rear skid mark.&nbsp\\; Took him in the ambulance, he was shaken up, badly bruised, minor road rash, but otherwise OK. TG.&nbsp\\; Motorcyclist said the lady driving the car looked right at him, the lady driving the car said she never saw him coming....&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
DILLIGAF
Advanced

ABS is without a doubt one of the best improvements in recent technology
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Abs has been around since about the 1930's for air craft and 1960's for cars.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
jp96
Intermediate

best money i ever spent

Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 AM
prowler
Advanced

Wish I had them yesterday when I went down.&nbsp\\; I probably would have stayed up.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

I take issue with ABS.&nbsp\\; Seems Harley is getting away with the simplicity that&nbsp\\;we knuckle busters have come to enjoy.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; After 35 years of riding in the Midwest, all I can say in regards to ABS is "learn how to ride"!&nbsp\\; I don't mean that in a negative sense.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; That ABS system may fail on you some day.&nbsp\\;Having recently taken&nbsp\\;an Advanced riders course, there are a few drills that involve locking up your wheels. All riders need to know how to respond to a "lock up".&nbsp\\; What is a bearing froze?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;A Tranny locks up?&nbsp\\; What will ABS do for you in the event of a Blow out? You're on your&nbsp\\;own then baby!.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Makes about as much sense as an Airbag on a Goldwing.
&nbsp\\;
Please don't misunderstand me, ABS is great technology, have it on both my personal vehicles and is a godsend in the snow and ice. Thats the big issue as IMHO, I don't ride my bike in the ice and snow.
&nbsp\\;
The more tech crap that's on your bike, the greater the chance of failure.&nbsp\\; There is no getting around it.
&nbsp\\;
Technology will never replace experience or common sense.

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes, Do you like them or hate them?