Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony, Hawg-Wire Kit, and Kicker Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Sony, Hawg-Wire Kit, and Kicker Speaker Install

ORIGINAL: DeathWind

Harleypingman, as far as the AVC, I was under the same impression concerning the Hawg-Wired controller, but on their website under the writeup for the controller it says: Utilizes factory attenuate features. I take this to mean that it controls the volume, but it was late when I finished up and haven't had a chance to try it out on the road. I just don't know how this works with the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Biketronics or the Hawg-Wired product. On the HK you could change the AVC settings, but I don't see that feature on the Sony. So I don't know if the volume just increases/decreases a few settings as you ride or what. How does it work with your Biketronics unit?
&nbsp\\;
My Sony headunit, GT 510, has AVC in 10 steps that is accessed using the left audio handlebar switch.&nbsp\\; If you look at the Base Audio Connector that plugs into the HW interface unit, there should be a white/green stripe wire which is the speed signal wire that the headunit uses to "know" the bike's speed\\; the same wire/circuit is used for the cruise control.
&nbsp\\;
Looking forward to your report on the AVC.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:10 AM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Hawg-Wired kit used from ebay so it may be an older version than the one saying that it uses the attenuate feature . I couldn't get it to do anything with the attenuate feature, but since I listen to MP3 mainly, I'm used to playing with the volume to compensate for the different mp3 volume levels. I'm going to email Hawg-Wired and see if I'm missing something in the setup or if there are two versions (their first one and the one they sell now).

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

[blockquote]
Deathwind, FWIW the Biketronics website claims AVC is a "Biketronics exclusive."&nbsp\\; So let us know what HW has to say about AVC.[/blockquote]

Old 06-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Billiam92407
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up and pics.
I bookmarked this thread for future reference. Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

Ok, the final word is that the Hawg-Wired product doesn't control AVC. The attentate feature is essentially a mute function. I also learned today that the attenuate function is now controlled by pressing the PTT button. For me this is a nice feature when I have to access military bases and need to turn the music down/off. The AVC would be nice, but my collection of mp3s have different volume levels and I find myself turning the volume up or down (even with the HKs AVC) anyways...and the fact that I got the $239 HW kit for $157 on Ebay I have no complaints.....well other than the fact that I don't have the pods for another set of these Kicker component speakers.

Last edited by DeathWind; 09-07-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Cleaning up extra characters
Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
malmax
Cruiser

Great setup...friend has an 02 ultra and lost the radio...trying to convince him to get a Sony.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM
DeathWind
Tourer

MalMax - The only drawback with getting a Sony is that they need 4ohm speakers. I had upgraded to the 2ohm JBL GTO527s which were better and cheaper than Hog-Tunes, JM, or Hawg-Wired speakers. The Kickers are excellent and the Sony provides them more power. It was definately worth the upgrade. I'll keep the HK and the JBLs if I decide to trade or sell the bike. The install kits are the other big decision. If retaining AVC is a concern then the Biketronics module is the way to go. If looks are important I would definatley recommend the Hawg-Wired. You may be able to mix and match by calling Biketronics to order just the module. The faceplate and cradle are available from Hawg-Wired as seperate items.

The marine rate Sonys are built with water and rough water in mind. So far the Sony's CD player is handling the Hawaii potholes pretty well. I have noticed that the CD and radio volume are lower than the Aux Input. My Mp3 player is much louder and I still can change the Aux input level on the Sony and probably make it a little louder, but so far it isn't needed.

Last edited by DeathWind; 09-07-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Cleaning up extra characters
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

So deathwind, do I understand this correctly, you did not install the tweeters? What about all the highs from your music? Arent they by design just gone now? I don't get it, please elaborate.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DeathWind
tried to buy the Biketronics controller by itself and the Hawg-Wired bezel and cradel. I think the Hawg-Wired bezel&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;looks much better than the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;biketronics cheap looking flat plate.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Good job man... Wish I would have known that you were looking for a Hawg-Wired Bezel I have an extra one sittin' at the house collecting dust.&nbsp\\; I ended up using the Biketronics one while yes it is just a flat piece of plastic I have the option to use the splash gaurd which I don't with the Hawg-Wired bezel since it is flush with the fairing.
&nbsp\\;
Jeff

Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

Adlerx, I did install the tweeters. These Kicker components have the ability to mount as seperate pieces (woofer and tweeter) or as a traditional 2-way speaker (tweeter mounted on the woofer). Look at the first and third photos in origional post. The first shows as component install with a plastic bullet looking item in center of woofer. In third photo they are mounted as 2-way. The bullet is unscrewed and a tweeter mount is installed in its place. I showed the tweeter in the gauge spot to shjow what it would look like. I thought about removing the air temp and battery gauge out, moving the oil pressure up to the battery spot and then mounting the tweeters. Only concern was remembering how much water sits in the gauge area if caught sitting in the rain or washing.... the speakers are marine rated, but didn't want to take a chance with sitting water.

jskwarek, that would have been good to know. You might try putting it on Ebay, it may sell quickly. I funded this radio install by selling all my extra computer parts on Ebay, then turing around and buying the required components. When I searched Ebay for the retro kit, the used kit I bought was the only Hawg-Wired retro kit or part at the time. I kinda miss the AVC, but my screwy collection of MP3s keeps me changing the volume more anyways. May sell some more items and buy the Biketronics module later, but happy for now.

Last edited by DeathWind; 09-07-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Cleaning up extra characters

Quick Reply: Sony, Hawg-Wire Kit, and Kicker Speaker Install