Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good parts guy is worth his weight in...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
tjohnston9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good parts guy is worth his weight in...

Seems like parts guys at the stealerships come in two flavors. One is an order-taker who doesn't know squat,&nbsp\\;and the other actually gives you advice on purchases - what works, what experience other buyers have had with a&nbsp\\;product, what options you have, etc. Ran across a guy by the name of John at St. Paul HD who really gave me some good advice recently. He went out to the parking lot with me&nbsp\\;to look at my bike and&nbsp\\;talk about some parts options, etc. Nice to know that you can get good service once in a while...

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
tailgater
Advanced
Default RE: A good parts guy is worth his weight in...

There isn't anything a rider likes to do better than talk about his bike. When you have a service manager or parts person that takes the time to talk to you and do it like they enjoy the conversation then it's a plus. When they know what they are talking about then it's a real plus.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Lyfer
Tourer

Have to agree 100%.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;At one of the local dealers one of the parts guys is a dumbshit and will&nbsp\\;sell you anything without checking to make sure it'll fit.&nbsp\\; The&nbsp\\;other one&nbsp\\;must read parts books before he goes to sleep - he really knows his stuff!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

We've got a couple here in Central Maine that can't find their way out of a paper bag. They are good at selling chrome. Knowledgable about bikes? Not. One can't be a day over 18. At his age I worked at a Honda shop as an aspiring wrench, and always wanted to be a sponge for knowledge, kids nowadays are not what they used to be.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

We here in HDF have dawg.[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif]Long live dawg!!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,354 Likes on 5,496 Posts

I happen to like my HD dealer. And the parts people are one of the reasons and goo dpart counter can save you a lot of time and money.
I buy smart and in most every case get better quialty parts at a fair price at the local dealer.
Of course they are not on of these new type dealers they have bee in the same faimly for 50 years.
I needed to rase my bars on my 07 RG shoulder problem. I was looking at a set of bars that would have required changing lines and cables about a 300 dollar job.
parts man hands me a set of Hertiage bars 50 dollars told me to bend brake line just a bit all other cables will fit cost 50 dollars did the job just fine.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer I got my scoot from has a parst guy like that. He knows his stuff. He's one of us too, he rides and wrenches his own stuff. He's the only one at that dealership I'll get parts from, other than his dad, who sold me my scoot. Another biker himself.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive twice as far whenever I need a part in order to deal with the great parts guys over a staff of clueless ones at another dealer. I usually know my part # before going in but I still feel like it is better to support the better store.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

&nbsp\\;My H-D dealer has one old guy that has his act together, and there is a young guy {40ish} bolth know there s-it when it comes to working parts.
&nbsp\\;I can't say that much for some pepole in service dept.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

face's change all the time at my dealer ther are 2 guys there that know there stuff
and i also talk to the service guys they are helpful but my dealer has made a couple
of dumb mistakes but they fixed them when i pointed it out

Quick Reply: A good parts guy is worth his weight in...