Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWO DEER 1, BOB 0...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:56 AM
prowler
|
Advanced
Default TWO DEER 1, BOB 0...

Had to lay down the Harley down this morning on the wat to work.
&nbsp\\;
Two young deer on my side of a four lane divided road, on a sweeping right turn.&nbsp\\; Just over a mile from my house.&nbsp\\; Applied the brakes and the rear end broke loose to the left and down I went on my right side.&nbsp\\; The bike slid about a total of about 50yards w/ sparks.&nbsp\\; I let go when I knew I was down and tucked in my left arm as I was sliding on my right side for about ten yards.
&nbsp\\;
Thank God for a great leather jacket.&nbsp\\; The jeans held up to.&nbsp\\; My right shoulder is stiff and I have some nice cherries&nbsp\\;oc my knees.&nbsp\\; Some light damage to the right side bat wing the right lower, and flattened the ball on the front break lever.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;All those bars did there thing to protect the motor and the bag.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Everything is cool, and I’m fine.&nbsp\\; Both the officers and a Good Samaritan commented me on how nice the bike looked, even on it's side.
&nbsp\\;
After the officer finished his report and we got the bike up righted, off to work I went.
&nbsp\\;
Also the insurance is in the works.
&nbsp\\;
Boy you just never know, it happens so fast and in slow motion.
&nbsp\\;
Be careful out there,
&nbsp\\;
Bob[sm=shades.gif]

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:00 PM
asatguy
Tourer
Default RE: TWO DEER 1, BOB 0...

Glad you're safe, also that body is within healing capability and bike is repairable.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:01 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master

Glad to hear you made it OK with minimal damage to yourself and the bike. You're right... you just never know when it's gonna get ya.
Ride safe!

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:04 PM
reecard
Cruiser

Sorry to hear that, but at least you are alright.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:05 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad your safe and sound.&nbsp\\; We battle that every day out here in Montana, plus elk, big horn sheep, bear (just missed two last year) and Moose.&nbsp\\; Lost a rider to a Moose accident 17 miles from my house last year.&nbsp\\; I try not to ride at dusk, dawn, but sometimes it really doesn't matter.&nbsp\\; Stay safe, CCRyder

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:06 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

BIKE CAN BE FIXED GLAD YOUR OK

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:09 PM
buick455gs
Cruiser

That sucks but glad your OK.
I ride in an area heavy with deer and the other night about 300 yards before my drive way one was on the shoulder eating. I gave it some gas to let it know I was there but it just kept eating. We have thousands of acres of farm land around here and they have to eat at the road side. I think it the salt not the grass they are after.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:13 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

You were lucky.Same thing happened to me last year,by the time I saw the deer no time to react,it changed direction slipped and I ran over it's hind legs.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:17 PM
steelhead
Road Master

SCary story but glad you are mostly ok. Ride safe!

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:18 PM
lazybee
Tourer

Good to hear that you're ok.&nbsp\\; Had a local situation where a deer knocked a guy off his bike early Sunday morning.&nbsp\\; It knocked him into oncoming traffic and he was run over and killed.&nbsp\\; Them deer are bad news.

Quick Reply: TWO DEER 1, BOB 0...