Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washington & Oregon Sightseeing Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Washington & Oregon Sightseeimg Tips

Thanks for the pictures They are great.&nbsp\\; I'm really pumped now.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:45 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Washington & Oregon Sightseeimg Tips

Y2K, those are some great pics, liked the ones of the snow banks and the highway down the middle. How tall where they really or where they photo shopped \\ funnin with you on the last comment.
Looking forward to a trip down south this summer ( July ) and will have to look closely at the road maps to decide which way to roll with the girlfriend and I.
Great Pics again.
Rob

Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Default RE: Washington & Oregon Sightseeing Tips

Here is a little tip for seeing some big Redwoods if you find yourself short on time but don't want to miss seeing them.
Dip down into Norcal on the PCH 101 and take highway 199 back to I-5 in Oregon at Grants Pass.
It is a nice ride and at Grants Pass you are it a good place to head for Crater Lake.
It's only 25 miles from Brookings Oregon to Crescent City California,get on 199 just North of Crescent City (do not take the 197 cut off).
If you have time go into the Jed Smith park campground and find the foot bridge accross the river to the stout grove,if not here is where to see some huge trees.
First off as soon as you leave 101 on 199 you will enter the Redwoods and see some big trees within the first couple miles along the highway.
It's narrow and twisty so be careful,it's easy to be looking at the trees and not the road.
Shortly you will come upon Walker Rd. it's a dirt/gravel side road on your left.
Turn onto Walker and it will take you into a grove of huge trees where you can park the bike and walk around,no gate,no fee just pull over and get off.
If you follow the road back in a ways it comes to a nice gravel bar swimming hole on the Smith River.

Crescent City to Crater Lake is about 175 miles and puts you close to highway 97 should you want to tour parts of Central Oregon 97 is the main North/South route just East of the Cascades mountains.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 PM
mudder
Tourer
Received 232 Likes on 74 Posts

omg: great pictures: I want to move
anyone need a truck driver?LOL:

Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be up there in July.&nbsp\\; Riding up from Vegas b/w/o a little rally in a place called Brian Head, UT.
&nbsp\\;
Plan on riding up 15 past Boise, across Ontario into John Day, OR and take 26 up to Hood...down to Corvallis to see family, then 101 up the coast through Gig Harbor and into Surrey, BC.
&nbsp\\;
Probably try to ride around St. Helens on the way back to Corvallis before I have to head back down to Vegas.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jmcollison

Will be up there in July.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Riding up from Vegas b/w/o a little rally in a place called Brian Head, UT.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Plan on riding up 15 past Boise, across Ontario into John Day, OR and take 26 up to Hood...down to Corvallis to see family, then 101 up the coast through Gig Harbor and into Surrey, BC.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Probably try to ride around St. Helens on the way back to Corvallis before I have to head back down to Vegas.
You might consider taking the Minersville highway out of Cedar City up to Milford then get on 21 up to highway 50 and Great Basin Nat Park.
Great ride and very little traffic so even though it's two laners you can make good time.
Then hop on 93 North at Ely Nevada and take it up to Twin Falls Idaho.
At TF you can either hop on I-84 over to Ontario or go just a short clip North from TF and get on 26 and take it all the way.
The ride from Vale Oregon all the way to the PCH101 on 26 is full of spectacular sites and changes in terrain and climate.
From desert to pines to the high Cascades mountains to the city of Portland to the coast range mountains and finally the Pacific Ocean.
I've ridden all over the Western half of the country and 26 through Oregon is a perennial favorite of mine.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get up near Portland and like airplanes, the Spruce Goose is pretty awesome.
It's in McMinnville, OR.
That is one big plane and I work on 747's everyday!
http://www.sprucegoose.org/
We stopped off on her trip back to Kansas from Seattle.
Also in Portland...oh wait, 16 year old grandson, never mind!
Sounds like a great trip!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 05:52 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Y2K, THANKS YOU JUST GAVE ME ANOTHER PROBLEM.
&nbsp\\;
NO I HAVE TO PLAN A TRIP OUT THAT WAY.
&nbsp\\;
NEXT YEAR PLANNING ONE MONTH
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;WASHINGTON AND OREGON ARE THE ONLY 2 STATES I HAVE NOT BEEN IN

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: katobird

Y2K, THANKS YOU JUST GAVE ME ANOTHER PROBLEM.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
NO I HAVE TO PLAN A TRIP OUT THAT WAY.
NEXT YEAR PLANNING ONE MONTH
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;WASHINGTON AND OREGON ARE THE ONLY 2 STATES I HAVE NOT BEEN IN
Well there's nothing like saving the best for last.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kwoozn

You get up near Portland and like airplanes, the Spruce Goose is pretty awesome.
It's in McMinnville, OR.
That is one big plane and I work on 747's everyday!
http://www.sprucegoose.org/
Excellent air museum! they have many WWII planes,P51Mustang-P38Lightning-Corsair,even a German Messerschmitt.
They also have an SR71Blackbird spy plane and all their planes are in working order.
Their B17 flying fortress bomber looks like a toy next to the Spruce Goose.

Quick Reply: Washington & Oregon Sightseeing Tips