Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Broken Antenna Cable Connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:55 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP - Broken Antenna Cable Connector

I'm finishing up my big weekend project - installing Chubby's WO575 handlebars and all new braided cables. I pulled out the antenna cable from the back of the radio and it came out in 5 or 6 pieces. It must have been broken all along, but being in the radio is all that was keeping it together. I doubt that the dealer would replace it under warranty because they will likely say I broke it (which I didn't). Plus I don't want to have to leave my bike with the dealer anyway. My question is can I simply replace the broken fitting without having to replace the entire cable? The fitting appears to be molded to the cable. I don't know what the fitting is called or where to get one. Thanks for your help!

Doug

Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Antenna Cable Fitting on Street Glide

Man, I could not believe your post when I read it!! The same damn thing happened to me with my Street Glide last week. Went to remove the antenna cable and it was broken inside the radio hole. Had to pull out the male end with some small needle nose pliers. Something must be going on with these cables from the factory?? I ended up replacing the antenna cable with a new one, cost was $15. This is not easy to do as you have to remove the gas tank to get at the main wiring harness in order to pull out the bad cable and run the new one through the wire tray under the tank. I do my own work, so I'm used to working on the bikes over the years. I don't let the dealers touch my bike if it can be avoided, even under warranty.

Now, as far as splicing a new male end on the cable goes: if you notice inside your cable(you may have to cut it back some), there is a small copper wire(a single strand) which runs the length of the cable inside the center or core of the cable. Around the center strand, is more copper. I could not get the center strand piece to cooperate. It kept disappearing farther back into the cable, like it is under pressure.
I just decided to replace the damn thing.

Another option is to buy the electronic antenna that mounts inside the fairing. It plugs into the radio and you have to splice into a 12v source inside the fairing. Dakota Digital makes one. It sells for about $80. I have heard they don't work as good as the whip antennas so I passed on that route.

Anyway, not sure of your mechanical background but if you need help replacing it yourself let me know. You can drop me an email or call me and I can give you some time saving hints. The biggest hassle is removing the gas tank.........

Old 03-05-2006, 11:50 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Antenna Cable Fitting on Street Glide

Gliderman-

Thanks for your response. Glad to know that it's not just me. I've decided just to forego the antenna altogether. I never listen to the radio - just a cd that I burned with about 100 mp3's. The back end looks so much better without the antenna. I'm going to go to the dealer and buy a plug to cover the hole for the rear fender where the antenna use to be. It will clean up the SG rear end even more.

Doug

Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts