Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buddy Stubbs Phoenix, AZ rental experience - Never Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buddy Stubbs Phoenix, AZ rental experience - Never Again!

ORIGINAL: draythomp
&nbsp\\;You should call Harley and complain about the dealer. They (Harley) take their reputation seriously and they might do something.
May I ask&nbsp\\;what color the sky is&nbsp\\;in your world? Lots&nbsp\\;of folks here have gone to the mat with H-D about problems at dealers and most get the canned answer of "Each dealer is independantly owned and we cannot control what they do."
&nbsp\\;
As for the original poster, had they not done the "detailed" inspection on the bike when you picked it up, I'd pitch a bitch about them going over it with a fine tooth comb after you brought it back. They should use the exact inspection methods pre- and post- ride IMHO.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bsea,
&nbsp\\;
You hit it right on the head. As I mentioned we have law enforcement in our family. We both have proof of it on our person at all times. You know what I mean.
&nbsp\\;
I was never worried about what would happen because I knew no matter how they twisted the story there was NO criminal activity going on at any time. This was purely a dispute over alleged damages. NOT criminal in any way whether I paid for it or not. But, as you rightly pointed out just their presence and the reason they were called in was to INTIMIDATE. Had my wife and I not had the understanding of the situation and felt comfortable confronting two (2) law enforcement officers arriving in separate vehicles being out of towner's ourselves, well you know where I'm going with this. It sure soured the mood. That's for sure.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hogdvr

I agree that all dealers are not the same. I'll also&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;agree that maybe someone else has rented there and had a great experience with no hassles. I'll go as far as saying that maybe someone will rent there in the future and not have any problems at all. It could very well have been just the one guy I dealt with.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
OTOH, it seemed like a real organized routine that my wife and I were put through. Very practiced. Also, the idea of documenting prior damage wouldn't even have helped. The idea wasn't the damage itself, it was that we couldn't even agree that there WAS damage in the first place. They were alleging damage that didn't even exist.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
So here you are thousands of miles from home, exhausted and happy after a week of great riding, you come into the dealership expecting to sign some papers and be on your way in a taxi back to your hotel, and instead you end up at the dealership for hours arguing over whether you damaged their bike because they allege damage that you can't even see. Nothing you say or do can change their position on the matter, they are holding you hostage threatening you with the police, and they insist you must pay or else. So, after all that I don't care if it was just one guy or not I don't think I ever want to chance it happening again.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Funny thing is originally we wanted to go&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Vegas to begin the trip but the airfare and connections were the issue NOT the rental. Now I'm real sorry about that.
&nbsp\\;
In your position, I would minimally complain to the police department those officers represented.
&nbsp\\;
In the best light, the officers were used by the business and the officers should be educated as to when a business is using an officer as a "boogey man". The officers should have left the business as soon as they determined that there was no disturbance or criminal offense. Damage to a vehicle is generally a civil manner over which the police have no authority. For example...Avis certainly doesn't call the police when there is a chip in the windshield of a rental car being returned!
&nbsp\\;
In the worst light, the officers may have been playing along with the business owner to coerce a payment. If so, they should be fired for unprofessional conduct. If they were knowingly involved, they are no better than a shakedown artist and should be arrested.
&nbsp\\;
In my opinion, the presence of the officers was the single most aggrevating factor. Anyone can disagree with the owner regarding the condition of a rented vehicle. But, the presence of an officer can be intimidating. Of course it is possible that the officers presence was a coincidence...but that does not sound likely. I would love to hear the officers explanation as to why they remained on the premises after finding no crime or disturbance.
&nbsp\\;
Andy
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds to me like they were trying to charge you for normal ware and tear. When it is time for them to sell the bike it would be expected to have some small signs of use.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you had a bad ending to a great week of riding, but sounds like you handled everything well.&nbsp\\; Your post will go farther than you will probably ever know, and will cost Buddy Stubbs HD some serious revenue down the road.&nbsp\\; In the end, bad customer service just doesn't pay for any company.&nbsp\\; Good post, hogdvr, and welcome.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Write a letter to Investor Relations online.&nbsp\\; I guarantee that you will get a personal phone call within 24 hrs.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Don't call in complaints they must be in writing with names, dates, time. lots of detail, etc.
&nbsp\\;
Ride well,
&nbsp\\;
Jim

Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
dgretz
Tourer

This is a way for the stealership to double dip as they get money from you from claimed damages and then they charge HOG (who is repsonsible for all up keep and maintenance/repairs on fly 'n' ride bikes).&nbsp\\; I have done 5 fly 'n' rides (Sydney, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, 2 in Hawaii) without any problems.&nbsp\\; Last one was on the big island and no problems except bad rear brake squeal which appears to be common on the 08's.&nbsp\\; Ended up using front brake all rental because of it.&nbsp\\; On return told them and they said no problem we will just put new pads on and charge HOG thats how I found out HOG is ultimately the owners of the fly 'n' ride bikes.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Sorry it happened it will me think when I fly to Miami and rent a bike there. I think I will just trailor mine.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser

Now I guess we know why someone kept breaking their front windows last year!&nbsp\\; I had thought that Buddy Stubbs was a better dealer than that.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I am really glad now that &nbsp\\;I have&nbsp\\;only dealt with &nbsp\\;Superstition HD out in&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Apache Junction.&nbsp\\; I have rented from dealers in the past(Tucson HD, Reno HD, etc.)&nbsp\\;and never had anything like that happen. They usually don't seem to even look at the bike when you return it.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Buddy Stubbs Phoenix, AZ rental experience - Never Again!