Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tar Strips

TAR SNAKES do make your butt get tight. Every bike I have ever ridden has&nbsp\\;had that loose feeling riding over the crack patch&nbsp\\;when it gets hot out.
Just be aware of them and ride safe.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay off the vertical ones, you'll end up following the grove.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

o7 ultra&nbsp\\; its worse than my 05 gonna try&nbsp\\; glide pro ill start a thread when i get it on

Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a curve near here that was full of tar snakes...very dangerous.&nbsp\\; I wrote to the road commission and told them what I thought.&nbsp\\; Really didn't think it would do any good..&nbsp\\; I couldn't believe it.&nbsp\\; Within a month they resurfaced the whole corner.&nbsp\\; Not sure if the hate mail had anything to do with it but now the curve is awesome

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

+1
&nbsp\\;totaly agree
ORIGINAL: ripper43

TAR SNAKES do make your butt get tight. Every bike I have ever ridden has&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;had that loose feeling riding over the crack patch&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;when it gets hot out.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM
StrongIslander
Cruiser

The problem is a result of the plys in the tire riding on slightly different road surfaces causing the tire contact surface to constantly hunt back and forth between the blacktop/concrete and the tar road surface.&nbsp\\; Condition is worse on at lower tire pressures or greater pavement differentiations.&nbsp\\; Radial tires don't suffer this condition because the tire plys run radially across the tires.&nbsp\\; The condition was well noted back in the mid '70s when auto makers shifted from bias-ply to radial tires to aide in fuel economy and handling.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its normal.&nbsp\\; We have a ton of that crap here in indiana
Especially noticeable in corners,&nbsp\\; dangerous? Yes.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Avoidable?&nbsp\\; Yes.&nbsp\\; Just be careful&nbsp\\;
If you notice them in the road,&nbsp\\; just try to stay away from them.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Doubt your letter had much to do with the new road surface, we do the 'crack sealing' prior to laying down a new surface, it helps keep the water from going through and into the base of the road. By the way, they will be slick in the heat of the day, or early morning if there is dew down, becareful.
ORIGINAL: kpb46

There was a curve near here that was full of tar snakes...very dangerous.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I wrote to the road commission and told them what I thought.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Really didn't think it would do any good..&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I couldn't believe it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Within a month they resurfaced the whole corner.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Not sure if the hate mail had anything to do with it but now the curve is awesome

Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ripper43

TAR SNAKES do make your butt get tight. Every bike I have ever ridden has&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;had that loose feeling riding over the crack patch&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;when it gets hot out.
&nbsp\\;
+1&nbsp\\; No way around it, temps got hot, tar gets soft.... OR, don't ride in temps above 60 degrees

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
kpb46
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Nightrider2

Doubt your letter had much to do with the new road surface, we do the 'crack sealing' prior to laying down a new surface, it helps keep the water from going through and into the base of the road. By the way, they will be slick in the heat of the day, or early morning if there is dew down, becareful.
ORIGINAL: kpb46

There was a curve near here that was full of tar snakes...very dangerous.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I wrote to the road commission and told them what I thought.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Really didn't think it would do any good..&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I couldn't believe it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Within a month they resurfaced the whole corner.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Not sure if the hate mail had anything to do with it but now the curve is awesome
&nbsp\\;
Your probably right that the hate mail didn't cause them to fix the road.&nbsp\\; However they must have been doing "crack sealing" way ahead of time as the road was screwed up for over a year that I know of.

Quick Reply: Tar Strips