Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Ultra...Kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 755 Likes on 521 Posts

Um, c'mon. This is just to silly of a thought to actually make it into a thread. It's a kickstand. Does what it is supposed to do, even does it quite well.

This thread belongs right up there with "Why does a dog lick his *****".

Oh, I get it, this is the post-***** thread. You know, the kind of thread someone starts when they can't think of something witty to say or ask. Member "Flakdog" was looking for this thread weeks ago in the thread "Black Balled".

I'll let him know it's here.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
hdrider07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am the same way all of you are. It takes my breather every time it moves with the stand down. Hear to many stories of the bikes just falling over after you get in the house. So I take mine and rock it back and forth just to make sure its locked into place.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Um, c'mon. This is just to silly of a thought to actually make it into a thread. It's a kickstand. Does what it is supposed to do, even does it quite well.

Oh, I get it, this is the post-***** thread. You know, the kind of thread someone starts when they can't think of something witty to say or ask. Member "Flakdog" was looking for this thread weeks ago in the thread "Black Balled".

The fact that this issue comes up over and over and over and over again on these forums kind of negates your opinion.

I can appreciate Harley's locking kickstand. What I don't understand is why they build in so much slop. There is no reason for the bike to move that much back and forth on the kickstand.

It's 106 miles from the dealer to my house. The day I brought the Ultra home, I immediately did a check of all the lights, and inadvertantly hit the starter button instead of the right turn signal. The damn thing started, and turned about 180 degrees on the kickstand before it killed. I couldn't believe there were no safety switches on a Harley. I just about tipped over my new bike in my driveway with less than 110 miles on it, but the kickstand saved it.

I understand starting in 2007 they joined the rest of the motorcycle world and made sure their bikes won't start in gear with the clutch engaged.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-14-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man

When you go over there to tell him....stay there. We're all good over here.

lp

Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Ben U

It's Harley's way of making the new bees stand out in a crowd ... you got to love it!!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben U
It's Harley's way of making the new bees stand out in a crowd ... you got to love it!!
Hey! I resembled that remark !

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LucklessPedestrian
Just recently picked up first Harley...The only thing that has me befuddled is the fricking kickstand, it always has me holding my breath, I understand how it&nbsp\\;works, but scares the crap out of me, always think it's gonna give away.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Anybody else ever experience this, once down and locks in it always moves some(01 Ultra)
Agree 100%. I upgraded from a '63FL and a '83 FL last year, both whose kickstands worked fine (meaning they kicked out plenty far). My '01 spooks me. It doesn't ever seem to splay out far enough. When I first went to look at it the owner had it on his extremely sloping front yard and it looked like it threatened to fall any minute. While my '83 and '63 is a one kick worry free throw the '01 causes me to always be attentive to its placement.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Jeez -it works well and we still bitch about it!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I hate the sound the engine makes also.

Chuck

Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LucklessPedestrian
Just recently picked up first Harley...The only thing that has me befuddled is the fricking kickstand, it always has me holding my breath, I understand how it&nbsp\\;works, but scares the crap out of me, always think it's gonna give away.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Anybody else ever experience this, once down and locks in it always moves some(01 Ultra)
Movement is normal, sucker is strong to, I've tipped the bike up on it and spun it around .

Quick Reply: HD Ultra...Kickstand