Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Electra Glide Standare - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Electra Glide Standare - Questions

I will be picking up a 2008 EGS with ABS and cruise control probably this Wednesday.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just a couple of quick questions for those with this bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've heard the windshield is really too high and needs to be cut down.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Generally right for most people? I'm 6'0" tall.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Never had a batwing before.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Will I need lowers to eliminate helmet buffeting?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have on most windshield bikes before.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Dealer said that the handlebars can be rotated in their mounts but said you have to take apart the fairing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Is this correct?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a start.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Appreciate the help very much.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Gem99Ultra
Advanced
Default RE: New Electra Glide Standare - Questions

I think your fears are for naught.
&nbsp\\;
I rarely have my lowers on at all - only in the bitter throws of winter, i.e. January 12th through January 15th &nbsp\\; Unless you live in the cold dark north, you won't miss your lowers.
&nbsp\\;
I'm 6'0" - stock windshield is just right for me. Wait until you get a chance to ride a couple of weeks before deciding to chop the windshield. You probably will find that it's just about right.
&nbsp\\;
You can get to the clamps bolts without taking the fairing apart. Not real easy, but do-able.&nbsp\\; However, if you need the outer fairing off - that's a 2 minute job\\; no biggie. I had to tighten my bar clamps and reached them from the inside area with the handlebars turned all the way from each side.
&nbsp\\;
Ride on - worry more about the cell phone jerks and enjoy the ride. You'll LOVE the batwings - or at least I do.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on the new bike.
&nbsp\\;
Add a Service Manual for your bike to the others you have already orderedbest money you will spend IMO.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
07Eglider
Intermediate

I have an 07 Standard.&nbsp\\; I thought that I would submit to cool and shorten the windshield, but it is perfect.&nbsp\\; I am 6' too.&nbsp\\; I am actually thinking of gettig the 15" to protect my GF.&nbsp\\; She is 6'8".&nbsp\\; I am totally kidding, but the taller windshield would be fine too.&nbsp\\; Ride it for a month or so and see what you will need to adjust.&nbsp\\; You do have the option of the 08 Tallboy seat, which does more pushing back than the 2k7 verision which pushes you up more than back.&nbsp\\; I followed the advice of this forum and rotated my handlebars too.&nbsp\\; It was very easy to do.&nbsp\\; The batwing came off last week, when I went with Fairing Mount mirrors.&nbsp\\; With these folks here and a manual, it is all pretty easy and fun.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I love the bike.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '08 FLHT, I'm 5'10" and the stock windshield is just right for me. I normally wear an HJC police helmet, patent leather visor and all, and I get absolutely zero helmet buffeting or drag. I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase. Best of luck with it!&nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

&nbsp\\; I rode the stock sheild for a couple years, then cut it down to 2"below my eye level, which was about 3-4" off the stock sheild.&nbsp\\; Man in the dead of winter Iill maybe put a stock back on but come earliest spring the shorter sheild goes back on.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Ridein a bike is about SEEING the world!!!&nbsp\\; and a shorter sheild lets you see the world clearer and the hight I cut mine there was practically NO difference in wind.&nbsp\\; Just a nice wide open space to see the world!!
&nbsp\\; Now for lowers.&nbsp\\; they do help divert the lower wind arround you and it is really noticeable in COLD weather.&nbsp\\; but it is the wind hittin you in the cheast area not helmet buffetin.&nbsp\\; here in Tennessee I run the lowers from Sept to early May.&nbsp\\; in the summer months I love the wind coolin me off.
&nbsp\\; you can test it for yourself. get some plastic cloth or cardboard and duck tape it on to cover the front engine guards and and go for a ride. that will cut the air to yu and you can see preaty much what lowers will do before you speed 6-800$.
&nbsp\\; but if you cold weather ride much just go ahead and get some lowers ..

Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Belatedly, thanks for your replies.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; As for the windshield I bought an HD shorter (think it's about 4" shorter)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;windshield but found that I was getting some buffeting with it so I may put the stock back on.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; With the stock I end up looking&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;through the shield not over it which is&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;not the prefered way to most people.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I may just take an inch or two off the stock.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Oh yah, this is one beautiful bike.&nbsp\\; I had an 05&nbsp\\;sportster and an 04 Fatboy before but this bike has got them beat.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
prowler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Congrats on the new bike.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Add a Service Manual for your bike to the others you have already orderedbest money you will spend IMO.
&nbsp\\;
Agree 100%.&nbsp\\; I've used mine alot.[sm=shades.gif]

Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

Congrats on the new bike. If I bought a new ride, it would likely be a EG Standard. My&nbsp\\;curent Ultra Classic&nbsp\\;I bought is nice, but&nbsp\\; I've come to realize it's overkill.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[align=left]I added the non adjustable fairing wind deflectors and SOLVED my wind buffeting problems. I've cut my stock windshield down 3 inches cuz I got sick of seeing the top edge in my line of sight all the time, I'm 6'1".
[/align]

Quick Reply: New Electra Glide Standare - Questions