Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Voltage regulator????

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:44 AM
hammon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Voltage regulator????

Hello members,
was wondering if anyone can tell me what the problem is. I have a 2003 Road King and when i'm riding at about 30mph my speedometer starts flicking up and down eventually the needle would just stop and go back to zero with the engine light on. Is this the speedometer sensor or is this a voltage regulator problem?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help!!! Voltage regulator????

First check your voltage output of the regulator. At just above idle it should be at almost 14 or so volts.&nbsp\\; You will need a good VOM (volt / ohms / meter) to test, and do it at the battery contacts. That way you won't have to disturb any wiring or connections right yet.
&nbsp\\;
If that is not correct then:
&nbsp\\;
Check the voltage output of the stator assy, see if you have any shorts to ground on the stator, look close at the stator to regulator contacts see if the contacts are nice an bright or blackend!
&nbsp\\;
You could have had water into the stator or the output end contacts of the voltage regulator.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I've reciently had an issue with my stator contacts doing the same thing to the radio.&nbsp\\; It burned out the display.&nbsp\\; On mine the problem was the contacts were getting hot and also arcing over at the input end of the regulator.
&nbsp\\;
Upon verification of proper stator output volts and the windings have no leakage (resistance to ground) I then had to squeze the barrel contacts from the stator to make a better contact connection with the input terminals (pins) of the voltage regulator.&nbsp\\; Then greased all terminals with silicon dialectric grease and reassembled.&nbsp\\; Then bought a new face plate for my radio (had to get the entire radio it was cheaper).&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If the voltage check of the regulator / stator output is normal then you should look at either the speedo sender or the speedo it self.
&nbsp\\;
Questions come to mind:
&nbsp\\;
Have you had any issues with the battery over the past several weeks?
&nbsp\\;
is&nbsp\\;the battery very old?
&nbsp\\;
are you getting a check engine or battery light on the&nbsp\\;dash?
&nbsp\\;
and have you had any issues starting the&nbsp\\;bike lately?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
any other things that you may have forgot?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
hammon
Novice

no previous problems with starting and the battery is fairly new. Left a tenderizer on over the winter break and the only time the check engine light comes on is when the spedo goes crazy.....

Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

If you find you need a regulator, let me know.&nbsp\\; I've got a brand new in the box Cycle Electric Regulator for Touring Models 99-2006.&nbsp\\; CCRyder

Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
hammon
Novice

Hey guys, thansk for all your help but I think I solved the problem. I change the voltage reg and it appears to be fine now...Thanks again!!!!!