Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Brakes?

Ok so here it goes. For the last two months I have debated buying a street glide. I came accross a dealer that is willing to give me $750 off the bike. They located a vivid black street glide, but the only option it does not have is the ABS brakes. How big of a deal is that? This dealer is pretty big here in So Cal and it took 3 days of searching all over to find the bike. If I say no to this bike I am affraid I will not be able to find another 2008 around and have to wait for the 2009.

Oh, and is there any major diffrences in the 2009 street glide that should make me wanna wait?

Nick

Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer
Default RE: ABS Brakes?

yes wait,&nbsp\\;if its possible to get abs by just waiting i would wait.&nbsp\\;IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE, i got an 07 ultra and wish i had abs i have had to hit the brakes pretty hard a time or two. it would have been nice to have abs.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, get the ABS. I have an 07 RK Custom and I would have waited on an 08 with ABS but I wanted a Custom and knew that it was being discontinued after 07. The 09s should be available around the end of August so you will not have too long to wait.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
driesb
Cruiser

If the choice is to get a bike without ABS now or wait a bit I'd say wait a bit!
I have been riding my bike with ABS for 8 months now and absolutely love it, would not want a bike without it and, dramatically as it may sound, ABS alone could save your life sometime.
Worth the wait!
CU
Dries

Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, Do what ever you have to do to get ABS.&nbsp\\; I am a very experienced rider and in the six months that I have owned my '08 Road Glide with ABS, the ABS system has saved my bacon twice.&nbsp\\; If I had been on my previous bike, a '05 Road King Classic, I would have been into one or the other of the cars that turned left in front of me.&nbsp\\; ABS is the best safety system ever added to motorcycles.&nbsp\\; .....&nbsp\\; BC

Old 06-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Aslan
Road Master

If you have any doubt don't buy the bike. Wait for an 09.
I bought my bike without ABS and I don't have buyers remorse but you might so wait
Unless you don't have a ride for the summer then I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't want to sit the summer out with nothing to ride.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can wait i say wait. I bought my 08UC without abs and do not regret it as i just did not see it as a life or death choice. I have made it this far without it and felt the 08s have enough new crap on them.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:55 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, ABS is definitely worth waiting for it.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have ABS and I agree, the ABS is probably worth waiting for.
If you think you want it, you will always wish you had waited to get one.
&nbsp\\;
I can't believe they can't find one for you though.
Try another dealer to see if they can find one, just to be sure.
It may be a surprise to you but, not all Harley dealers get along and dealer trade with each other.
&nbsp\\;
In my area we have two dealerships about 75 miles a part and they would never dealer trade with each other.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:18 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell.....I been riding since way back in the Honda Z50 days, and I aint never needed no dam ABS, and I dont need it now. It is primarily designed for riding in slick conditions.....and when its raining and crap I aint riding. Buy the one without the ABS, and if you feel that strongly you want the abs trade in the dam 08 on a brand new 09 with ABS.......but dont go "bike-less" the entire Summer just because you dont have ABS.....thats just silly. You have already given the throttle control to the ECM.....and now you want to give over the braking to the ECM as well.....screw that!

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes?