Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes?

ORIGINAL: biz44
Hell.....I been riding since way back in the Honda Z50 days, and I aint never needed no dam ABS, and I dont need it now. It is primarily designed for riding in slick conditions.....and when its raining and crap I aint riding. Buy the one without the ABS, and if you feel that strongly you want the abs trade in the dam 08 on a brand new 09 with ABS.......but dont go "bike-less" the entire Summer just because you dont have ABS.....thats just silly. You have already given the throttle control to the ECM.....and now you want to give over the braking to the ECM as well.....screw that!
Ya.
And what were they thinnking when they put hydraulic brakes on bikes?
Darn whipper snappers.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think buying a new bike without ABS, now that it's available, is just silly.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

&nbsp\\;Pesonally I'd wait and get one with ABS. It's worth it for the peace of mind if nothing else. Better to never need it than to need it and not have it.&nbsp\\; Try another dealer and see what they can come up with. Being your are in The peoples republic of California pickings may be slim. I hear the 09 Street Glides or coming out with some new colors om them (rumors?) and&nbsp\\; no telling what else.Don't settle, get what you want the first time.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off you can see the majority of us enjoy and ABS and wouldn't go back to our bikes without!&nbsp\\; You might need to do what I did...Go around and look at dealers...make calls...find out who have your bike with ABS!&nbsp\\; DO NOT RELY ON YOUR DEALER SAYING NO!&nbsp\\; If you want t owait...that's your decision...but look for yourself also.&nbsp\\; Also look on the net...you can' buy bikes over the net and there are a number of very reputabe ones who you can deal with over the net and they'll ship it to you!&nbsp\\; Good luck and keep us informed.&nbsp\\; Mike

Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHiLi_11

Ok so here it goes. For the last two months I have debated buying a street glide. I came accross a dealer that is willing to give me $750 off the bike. They located a vivid black street glide, but the only option it does not have is the ABS brakes. How big of a deal is that? This dealer is pretty big here in So Cal and it took 3 days of searching all over to find the bike. If I say no to this bike I am affraid I will not be able to find another 2008 around and have to wait for the 2009.

Oh, and is there any major diffrences in the 2009 street glide that should make me wanna wait?

Nick
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Well Nick,&nbsp\\; I had the same issue almost.&nbsp\\; I was ordering a new EGC and could not figure if I wanted tp spend the extra $750.00 on the ABS.&nbsp\\; Best $750.00 I ever spent.&nbsp\\; But I did ask myself if I was out riding with my wife or kids on the back and I low sided due to a rear break lockup. and some body got hurt or killed could I live with the fact that I did save $750.00.&nbsp\\; Financed over 48 months its about $12.00 a month. Cheap insurance!!!!!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; GET THE ABS[sm=smiley20.gif]
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

test

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Mr_Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02 cents is wait for the 09 with ABS or keep looking for a 08 with ABS. you should be able to find a 08 with ABS, you may just have to travel a bit to get the bike! I have the ABS on my 08 Ultra, have not had the ABS activate yet, but have the piece of mind to know the set up is there if I need it. I believe it will add to the resale value as well.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\; Good Luck,
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Mr_Bill

Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

ABS baby!!!Regards,Tom

Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

That's probably why they are discounting the bike in question, because it doesn't have ABS.&nbsp\\; I would wait.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I would and am waiting for ABS.
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes?