Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 EGC to 08 Street Glide..??? UGHHH

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 05 EGC to 08 Street Glide..??? UGHHH

Okay now I'm freakin torn. I laid eyes on an 08 SG in that killer red sparkle on my dealer floor. Thinking of bailing on my&nbsp\\;Black&nbsp\\;05 EGC which has added factory vented&nbsp\\;lowers and an 07 Ultra tour pack with the 7 little lights on each side and the Ultra rear lights etc and I also have added 07 Smoothie spoke wheels so my bike is about as as nice as it gets from an 05.&nbsp\\;I have 10000 miles on the bike and its a reliabe&nbsp\\;trouble free partner for sure. I am often&nbsp\\;disappointed though on the highway and always am I&nbsp\\;looking for that sixth gear that the bike should have came with but isn't there. Lets face it 72 mph is about the max before the exhaust noise ( B and E 2 inch same as many&nbsp\\;others really)&nbsp\\;and constantly holding the throttle open gets to me. When&nbsp\\;I hit 80 plus&nbsp\\;as soon as&nbsp\\;I let go the bike slooows down too quickly for my taste. Thats how people drive on I-80 in PA.&nbsp\\;Yeah I know 6 speed 3000.00 upgrade. Maybe 1550 kit 2200.00 upgrade. Add cruise 300.00. Thought of it all and still may do one or all. Dealer offered me Ultra trade price of 13250.00 and the SG for 19125.00 Free cruise and factory security included. The lure besides the killer color stance and looks for me is the 96 CI and the 6 speed and the easier clutch. The newer style radio and the white face gauges are a nice eyefull to me also. Trouble is I like most of who have a tourpack use the tour pack for helmets and extra jacket or vest. I two up about 10 percent of my riding with my 12 year old 5'10" 200 lb son and I gotta tell you I'm about 215 or so and the bike is heavy with us and loaded for bear and I ride cautious almost to a fault with him on. Its totally different than when I'm alone and scraping boards like a wild teen. I did 300 miles Sunday with him and I came to the realization that I'd rather not take him sometimes and if he saw this it would break his heart but I was fatigued after 7 hours of on and off riding two up through backroads with a lot of stopping and some gravel u turns which are an ******* pucker compared to doing them alone. with my 90 lb daughter on the back I dont even feel her weight and we can dip and whip turns with ease and confidence.&nbsp\\;I'll have to go 7000 more in debt thought (which right now with gas at a crazy high and consumables sure to go up very soon) is a factor but I've got my payment blinders on right now. 235 a month which is what I'm paying now but the loan will start from ground zero on the new one and if&nbsp\\;I think of it that way I wouldn't buy anything for years. Whattaya think????

Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: 05 EGC to 08 Street Glide..??? UGHHH

What exactly could I tell you to influence your decision? It's your money, your family, your life. I think you are the only one in a position to make this decision.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..UUUHHHHH O Im sorry What was the Question????? OOOOO Its not Important....OK Then...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah&nbsp\\;Great responses. Now&nbsp\\;I know the purpose of a common interest forum

Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Is there a typo, or do you have 10K miles on an '05 EGC?&nbsp\\; I have an '04 EG police model that I've owned for 3+ years and put 50K on it.&nbsp\\; I've also spent a lot of time riding '07 and '08 Touring models leading and sweeping rides for my local HD store, and I must say that I'm always happy to get on my bike at the end of the daythe newer bikes just don't float my boat much at all, and certainly not enough to pay $7K-10K for a new one.&nbsp\\; Take an '08 for a test ride, or several test rides, and see what you think about it's power, etc.
&nbsp\\;
Do you really want to take on an additional $7K or so in debt for a toy that gets such relatively little use?
&nbsp\\;
If you do much highway riding, put the cruise control kit on your current bikeyou'll kick yourself in the azz for not doing it years earlier.
&nbsp\\;
As for power, a set of modest bolt in cams will provide you with more tq than the stock 96" motorI have Head-Quarters HQ-0034 in mine and highly recommend them.&nbsp\\; As for a sixth gear, there are a zillion Electra Glides on the interstates around Atlanta cruising happily along with their 88's and 5-speeds.
&nbsp\\;
As for non-motorcycle advice, as a husband and father, put yourself last in line for frivolous expendituresurely there is something you could do for your wife and kids that would be of greater benefit than a new motorcycle sitting in the garage.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hogdad, go for it

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great reply Carl, I totally agree...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Keep the 05. Sounds like you don't ride that&nbsp\\; much. It's only a few minutes of nuts n bolts and an EGlide is a StreetGlide. Just keep unbolting stuff.
I will admit that new red is nice . . . But&nbsp\\; you have BLACK !!!
Bang for the buck the Classic. Plus you've added allot.
&nbsp\\;
Keep it !!!! you'll loose your *** (cough excuse me shirt) trading it or selling it.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

I hve no idea what all the slashes \\;// are about ???!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Neither do&nbsp\\; I..not the first thread I&nbsp\\; have//seen em in tonite//either.

Quick Reply: 05 EGC to 08 Street Glide..??? UGHHH