Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 02:58 AM
SubZer0
|
Road Master
Default Hard starting

I don't know if you guy's can help or not but here it goes.
I have an 05 Road Glide with a 95", 203 cam's, SE air cleaner and SE pro slip-on exhaust. after doing all of this I had them use the cartridge for the download; dealer told be that the SERT was a wast of money at the time. Anyway after getting the bike back I noticed it was popping in the pipes on deceleration other than that it ran great. I went and purchased a SERT and scheduled some dyno time to have it corrected. After getting my bike back I noticed it was hard to start when it was cold; so much so that it would cough through the air cleaned, I actually had to crank open the throttle a bit to get it going; by cold I mean sitting all night. I also noticed that it wanted to quit when you gave it a quick snap on the throttle just before you would take off from a stop; needless to say I took it back to the shop. This time they had it running so rich that it F*%k up the MAP sensor. In this last episode I managed to talk the mechanic into giving me a copy of the map that he had used to tune the bike; after getting home I loaded up the map in my SERT tuning software and discovered that he had used an 06 map on my 05 bike? I didn't know one could do this, aren't the ECM's and injectors different? I asked him about this and he said that 05 and 06 are all the same and that map best fit my bike. I think he is full of it, I found map 10 to be a better fit and it was for an 05 bike. What do you guys think? And yes I still have the same issues with the bike.[:@]

Old 03-02-2006 | 07:07 AM
harleybob
Cruiser
Default RE: Hard starting

Subzero, This is the same exact symptoms that I am haveing with my bike. If you read my post on the next page. My post starts out saying bike back at shop after dyno tune. This is a duplicate problem I am having with my bike. I printed out your post and I am Headed to the Harley shop this morning. I am not sure if this is my problem but a start. Bob.

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:23 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

It sounds to me like you may need another Tuner to tune the bike. Seems to me if they had it on the dyno, that should have done a much better job then just putting a stock can map on it?? I thought that the whole point to a Dyno Tune was to have a custom fuel map done? Anyone???

Bob

ORIGINAL: SubZer0

I don't know if you guy's can help or not but here it goes.
I have an 05 Road Glide with a 95", 203 cam's, SE air cleaner and SE pro slip-on exhaust. after doing all of this I had them use the cartridge for the download; dealer told be that the SERT was a wast of money at the time. Anyway after getting the bike back I noticed it was popping in the pipes on deceleration other than that it ran great. I went and purchased a SERT and scheduled some dyno time to have it corrected. After getting my bike back I noticed it was hard to start when it was cold; so much so that it would cough through the air cleaned, I actually had to crank open the throttle a bit to get it going; by cold I mean sitting all night. I also noticed that it wanted to quit when you gave it a quick snap on the throttle just before you would take off from a stop; needless to say I took it back to the shop. This time they had it running so rich that it F*%k up the MAP sensor. In this last episode I managed to talk the mechanic into giving me a copy of the map that he had used to tune the bike; after getting home I loaded up the map in my SERT tuning software and discovered that he had used an 06 map on my 05 bike? I didn't know one could do this, aren't the ECM's and injectors different? I asked him about this and he said that 05 and 06 are all the same and that map best fit my bike. I think he is full of it, I found map 10 to be a better fit and it was for an 05 bike. What do you guys think? And yes I still have the same issues with the bike.[:@]

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:15 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

I had a similar problem after the Harly dealer "Dynoed" my '06 SG with air cleaner, SE touring muffs, and PCIII. I experimented with some download maps and found one that made the bike run good, start good, and no backfiring. It was not the map for my setup, but it was close and it worked with out killing my miles per gallon. So much for the stealer's dyno tech.[:@]

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:23 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Again, get your bike to an expert dyno shop. Get it done RIGHT!

Old 03-02-2006 | 12:27 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Thane,

Tell the service if you can fine a guy to do the tune properly will he refund your money if he say no. Tell him to stop what he doing and fix your F%#$ing bike. IF he says Yes find another dyno shop to do it and go get you money back.

Old 03-02-2006 | 11:11 PM
SubZer0
|
Road Master

Thanks guys,
Did anyone catch what I said about the 06 map loaded on an 05 bike, seems a bit strange to me given the fact that there's an 05 map that matched perfectly to what I have installed. I loaded that 05 map my self but it made it pop in the pipes again. Aren't the injectors and ECM different between an 05 and an 06? If you look at the two maps they show different injector timing. dam idiot techs. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 03-02-2006 | 11:36 PM
R Horn
Cruiser

Another option is using a tc88+ w/Wego II, you will have to install the bungs in your exhaust pipes for the 02 sensors but then say goodbye to having to go to a dyno guy for tuning. The TC88+ makes SERT tuning simple. http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan.html you can call the Tech engineer Chris for info.

Rich

Old 03-03-2006 | 10:50 PM
SubZer0
|
Road Master

Anyone out there know if I'm correct or not?