Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

&nbsp\\;Sounds like a plan Galtjunk
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
..................................BOSSMAN

Old 06-05-2008, 08:08 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

VERY EASY INSTALL, BUT YEAH LEAN THE BIKE OVER OR HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT.
&nbsp\\;
INSTALL THE SPRING ON THE FRAME FIRST, HOOK FACING TO THE RIGHT SIDE. ROTATE THE STAND ALL THE WAY FORWARD AND THE SPRING GOES RIGHT ON.
&nbsp\\;
ONCE IT IS HOOKED MOVE IT UNTIL THE WASHER AND BOLT CAN BE INSTALLED.
&nbsp\\;
HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have engine guards and saddle bag guards just put something on the floor, carpet or rug and lay that thing down on the right side, so you have room to work and use a pair of vice grips.&nbsp\\; Bent or broken springs are a common problem with cop motors when going over curbs.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Thenite
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's how it is done. Kickstand spring replacement

FXST and similar models with Jiffy Stand.

Stabilize the bike so the kickstand is elevated. Have someone hold it up if needed.

Do Not Use Vice Grips (you will compromise the spring and it will break down the road)

1) with the kickstand in the up position - remove the kickstand (jiffy stand) bolt, 2 washers and lock plate (note: the tab is positioned opposite of the kickstand)

2) swing the kickstand forward (being careful not to hit the fender) spring should come loose - remove the spring. Remove the kick-stand, clean and lube.

Note: if the spring does not come off easily, grab some pennies or dimes, place the kickstand in the down position (replace the lock plate to hold the stand in place - shouldn't need the bolt unless it keeps slipping - just a few threads should work if needed). Add pressure to the one side (left or right) of the spring to open gaps large enough to slide in a few coins between the coils. Add pressure to the opposite and add coins, remove the lock and swing the stand forward to remove the spring. add more coins if needed.

3) Installation is critical where the spring will bind and break if installed wrong.
Install the new spring onto the plate attached to the frame - making sure to hook it on the engine-side of the plate (not the kickstand side). With the kickstand forward (toward the fender) hook the spring on the bike-side of the kickstand (not the side you are on).

Note: If the spring is too difficult to install, use the coin trick mentioned above (do not use vice grips). I used a screw on the side of my workbench table to hold the spring so I could open the spring to install the coins. You'll have to be creative here. What ever you do, do not use anything that could crush metal or the spring will break after some use.

4) Install the lock (tab away from the kickstand), two washers and bolt (20ftlbs). and you're done.

Attached Thumbnails  can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?-spring.jpg  

Last edited by Thenite; 05-18-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: ADDING PHOTO
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

Not long ago there was a link on here to a video showing how to install a spring. Didn't take 3 minutes. If you streach the spring, you have ruined it and it won't hold the stand up... Look for Utube video.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by galtjunk
I don't recall the exact sequence of events, but it is written in the Factory Sevice manual.&nbsp\\; It takes about 3 minutes to change the spring and requires no nickels or washers.

It goes something like this.

I think you take the top bolt out of the jiffy stand.&nbsp\\; This is the one that holds the tab that locks it in place.
Push the jiffy stand towards the front wheel.&nbsp\\;
Attach the spring.&nbsp\\; The is no spring stretching involved.&nbsp\\; It hooks right up.
Push the jiffy stand back to the extended position.&nbsp\\;
Put the bolt and stop back in.
You're all done.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,666 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 AM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by galtjunk
I don't recall the exact sequence of events, but it is written in the Factory Sevice manual.&nbsp\\; It takes about 3 minutes to change the spring and requires no nickels or washers.

It goes something like this.

I think you take the top bolt out of the jiffy stand.&nbsp\\; This is the one that holds the tab that locks it in place.
Push the jiffy stand towards the front wheel.&nbsp\\;
Attach the spring.&nbsp\\; The is no spring stretching involved.&nbsp\\; It hooks right up.
Push the jiffy stand back to the extended position.&nbsp\\;
Put the bolt and stop back in.
You're all done.
That's exactly how it works on my 06 RK and the 98 that I had as well. I had the 98 lowered in the front and rear and went through a few springs. Super easy to change even by yourself. Always keep a new spare even though I haven't needed one in years.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,494 Likes on 2,434 Posts

+1 with check out the video on jiffy stand spring replacement. Very easy method.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,109 Likes on 3,111 Posts

Get the bike to free stand.
Get the right spring, one with 2 hooks.
Remove the lower the jiffy stand.
Remove the retaining bolt, noting the proper position of the locking tab.
Turn jiffy stand fully forward and hook on the b w soring, both ends.
Put jiffy stand in down position and reinstall the tab and bolt.
Ride On.

Quick Reply: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?