Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand grip install query?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hand grip install query?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I am planning to get these soon and install on my bike. I wanted to know beforehand is there any unseen problem I will face. This is the first time attempt and I am pretty sure I can do it. My real concern is the throttle side of the installation. Is there any adjustment needed that I am unaware?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
PHREDD71
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hand grip install query?

I installed some HD grips a couple of weeks ago. Piece of cake! just follow the directions and make sure to put the piece of cardboard in the brake lever so you dont screw up the little switch.

Not having done a whole lotta work on my bike, I was surprised at how easy it was.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
BuddyinStL
Intermediate

A couple of things to remember when replacing your grips. Do the thottle side first. Place a piece of cardboard inside of the brake lever so that the switch doesn't move. After the throttle side is installed, do the the left side. The glue sets up really fast when oxygen is removed, so you really only get one chance to get it right. Make sure that the pattern on both grips are aligned BEFORE you slide the left grip on. Also, you will have to re-adjust your throttle cables after your done. Piece of cake, if you've counted the threads before you start. Just takes a little adjust here and there to get it right. I've done two sets now, and have not had any problems doing it right. Most come with good instructions. If you follow them properly, you won't have a problem.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I switched my grips out on my fat boy last year for some cool looking ones. I realized I liked the stock ones better. Keeping ston on my SG

Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

No glue needed on the clutch side. The control housing goes over the grip and holds it in place with the HD grips. Now with the Kury ISO grips you would need to use glue since the grip diameter is too large to fit in the flange groove of the housings. Make sure the throttle side has a little play and don't push all the way in. Keep about 1/16 to 3/32 play, otherwise your throttle will not spring back properly. Other than the shim for the break lever a piece of cake.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BuddyinStL

A couple of things to remember when replacing your grips. Do the thottle side first. Place a piece of cardboard inside of the brake lever so that the switch doesn't move. After the throttle side is installed, do the the left side. The glue sets up really fast when oxygen is removed, so you really only get one chance to get it right. Make sure that the pattern on both grips are aligned BEFORE you slide the left grip on. Also, you will have to re-adjust your throttle cables after your done. Piece of cake, if you've counted the threads before you start. Just takes a little adjust here and there to get it right. I've done two sets now, and have not had any problems doing it right. Most come with good instructions. If you follow them properly, you won't have a problem.
Not to be an a$$, but 08HD is installing glueless grips on an 08 bike. The 08s have throttle by wire TBW so you do not have to worry about throttle cables and adjusting. For previous years, you are correct in your statement about throttle cable adjustment.

One thing to watch for is when you pull off the old throttle grip, make sure that part of the TBW mechanism does not stay in the handle. The HD instructions have a nice pic and will better illustrate what I am referring to. When I did mine, I did not have an issue.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
08HD
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. But exactly what is meant by, " Place a piece of cardboard inside of the brake lever so that the switch doesn't move." could I get more clarity here?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

Squeeze the brake lever and just put about a 3/32" shim (cardboard or other material) in so when you release it, the lever does not retract to the full released position. Continue to work that way until done. Whe the controls are back in place take out the shim. This is all stated in the service manual which is a great commodity to have. I would invest in one soon. The money you save on labor will pay for itself the first time.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

Picture is worth a thousand words...

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
08HD
Road Captain

SWEEET! Thanks guys