Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydration backpack - anyone tried one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:25 AM
dt20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydration backpack - anyone tried one?

have several camelbaks they work great. used them on the bike and works great dont have to worry about stopping all the time. i never really could get used to the caddie on the bars.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the camelback. Who cares how "geeky" it looks...it serves it purpose...to keep you hydrated.
I use this on my handlebars also. It wortks much better than the kruise caddy that will only hold cans adn the slim water bottles. This is called the water buffalo and I have yet to find a cup (other than the 40oz mega gulps) that will not fit into this holder.
I got mine from www.scootworks.com which is only 20 miles or so from my house. I am sure you can find them elsewhere.

Could not upload a pic. Here is the actual item url
http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...D=PUT_SID_HERE

Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Camelbacks are great! Haven't used it on the bike but made it thru Iraq just fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

ORIGINAL: qwest

Cons - May look a little geeky.

what looks geeky..... is wrecking because you were dehydrated......

Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Point Man
Cruiser

I fill my CamelBack 1/3 to 1/2 full with ice then add water. It'll stay cold for a good 4 hours, plus it keeps your back cool on a hot day!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Diesel_Hog
6th Gear

I agree that camelbaks are awsome. I have several from my 12 yr stint in the military which have made it through many deployments and never even thought of wearing them while riding. That will be a must from now on especially as we run full speed towards the 100 degrees.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM
qwest
Cruiser

Thanks for the information.

I'll go camelbak hunting this weekend.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure they work great but personally I'd just install a cup holder. actually a water bottle fits perfectly down between my windshield and the chrome fly screen.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Uncle Fester
Tourer

There is (or at least, used to be) a model Camel-Bak that's low profile and designed to go under a jacket or vest. Wore mine under my survival vest when I went flying...I'd wear it now if I could just find the damned thing. There's also a canteen-sized model that goes on your belt, if you don't want the full-size rig or want to lean back on your backrest.

Keeping hydrated is extremely important, especially in situations where you need to keep alert - like, say, doing 80 on two wheels amongst a bunch of big-rigs. The reason you make bad decisions and fall asleep when you're drunk is the alcohol is dehydrating your brain cells. Being dehydrated because you're hot and sweaty has the same effect, just less fun.

Incidentally, sport drinks are NOT as good as water. Ad blurbs aside, it's just water with salts and lots of sugar and coloring. A little Gatorade every once in a while whenyou're hot and active isn't a bad idea, but it's no substitute for the real thing. If you have to add something for flavor, use a sugar-free drink mix. It won't kludge up your Camel-Bak and it's a lot cheaper than a bottle of Gatorade, too.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
gene01
Road Captain

I use the camelback model Mule, it is designed for bikes, it has reflective material on the back, it has compartments to hold cell phone, sunscreen and whatever you want easy access too, I load it with ice to the top, then fill with bottled water to fill the space...... it holds 100 ounces of liquid, I put a hydration solution (from crystal lite a slight lemon flavor) if it is hot you need not worry about bathroom breaks as you will sweat it out.... I have been on trips of 600 miles only needing to use the restroom once in the day drinking 300 ounces of liquid, just think if you didn't drink all of that liquid, what would happen to your body(dehydration is a terrible thing) buy the camelback brand it is only about 20.00 more than a cheapy...by the way, if you wear it with a thinset armor type jacket, since the camelback is full of ice, it will cool your spine down and keep your body overall cooler...

Quick Reply: Hydration backpack - anyone tried one?