Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY LEG IS BURNING....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 09:05 PM
HelluvaDoormat
|
Intermediate
Default MY LEG IS BURNING....

I have a question in reference to Reinhart pipes on an 07 Electra Glide. Every time I ride, it seems that I burn my left thigh on the pipe. I have read similar reviews from other people on this forum and wonder if there is a true fix to this issue. I have seen people install 2 into 1's and I have heard people talking about heat deflectors. I'm afraid if I go with 2 into 1 pipes that I just move a lot more heat to the right side of the bike making it almost unbearable, would this be a true statement??? I've heard some good reviews on the rjoriginal heat deflectors. This has to be a very common problem and would like to know what works. Thanks in advance for any guidance. -Chris

Old 06-03-2008 | 09:12 PM
psc
Road Captain
Default RE: MY LEG IS BURNING....

do you have slip-ons?

Old 06-03-2008 | 09:17 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

Go with true dual header pipes.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:09 PM
Fish Slapper
Intermediate

I have an 07 Road King with Reinhart true duals, had the same problem, installed a set of RJ's original heat shields, problem solved, it can still get warm but nothing like before, it will not fry you in stop and go traffic on a hot day, I highly reccomend them.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:20 PM
HelluvaDoormat
|
Intermediate

psc
Date 6/3/2008 7:12:47 PM

do you have slip-ons?
They are not slip on but the true dual Reinharts.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:21 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Go with TD's a good tune... I mean a good one, and RSJ deflectors... you will not be sorry.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:32 PM
dnitram
Road Master

I had the EXACT thing happen to me on my Ultra. Before I took delivery of the bike, I asked about true duals. The dealer said the only true duals they recommend and install were Rinehart True Duals, so I went with it. Severely burned the inside of my left thigh and went back to the dealer the same day (had less than 200 miles on the bike). We examined my bike and a bone stock Ultra and found out the pipe on the left sticks out almost 2 inches farther! I had them re-check the air-to-fuel on the dyno again, which wasn't the problem. I had a Fat Boy with D&D Fat Cats on it that was great and had a Road King Classic with Thunderheaders (both 2 into 1 systems exiting on the right side) and had zero burn problems. After consideration, I decided to have the D&D Fat Cats installed with the ghost pipe. I don't expect to be burned again by a pipe that sticks out too far. Just my 2 cents!

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:50 PM
HelluvaDoormat
|
Intermediate

dnitram
Date 6/3/2008 8:32:26 PM
pipe on the left sticks out almost 2 inches farther!
Right on! Went to Harley the other day and saw that too. When I first complained they told me that this was somewhat normal....[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 06-04-2008 | 06:27 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Burning a customers leg "Ain't" normal. How many sets did that dealer install before they realized the problem. I take it their techs never test ride the bikes? No dyno time? WTF?

Old 06-04-2008 | 06:52 AM
hoganth
Novice

Yep, have the same problem on my 07 Ultra with Rinehart TD's. The Header pipe protrudes to far out. Burned my thigh several times. Just have to be sensitive to the pipe. Thought about wrapping it with something maybe.

Quick Reply: MY LEG IS BURNING....