Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Americade warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Americade warning

ORIGINAL: ctmedic
Its only illleagal if you get caught!!!
This is an undisputed fact!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to sway a little bit on the pipe issue. Parents just bought acamp in the mountains, beautiful nice sweeping two lane first thought when I saw it BOY is this going to be nice to come up on the bike. Problem is everyone else thinks so too. Not a very relaxing week hearing the bikes all day. The first two days was nice then it got old and downright annoying. Think if I lived there 24/7. But for an event a week out of the year you think they would want our business. Is the event organizers standing up for us? Love going to americade and usually return once thru out the summer with the family. Because I was there on the bike.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM
rysess20
Advanced

Being from this area i'll throw ya a couple tips for those wanting to go to Americade.

Stop at any tattoo studio or indy and ask if they have any DOT stickers and slap one on your novelty helmet. Remove the inside sticker stating it is a Novelty Helmet.

Avoid RT 12 from Utica (Exit 31 off thruway) to Route 8. Try getting off in Herkimer and take Route 28 to 8 if you go that way. Check the map you'll see what I mean.

Stay outta the throttle through the small towns. Don't attract attention to yourself.

I went to Americade onMonday and I have Rinehart True Duals on my RKC and I had no problems just puttedthrough all the towns. Going back Friday.

The cops are looking for the original stamping that comes on all stock pipes and is not on any aftermarket pipes. If they do not have a decible meter than thats a throw away ticket in court.Request them towrite the decible read out on your ticket they won't be able to.

Hope that helps, its always nice to attend a place to see others andwhat they have done to there bikes to get new ideas,the only people I saw getting harrassed by the cops were the ones revving the hell out of there bikes on Main St inLake George and taking off like a bat out of hell to gain themselves unwanted attention. People just putting had no issues.

Enjoy its a great Ride in the Adirondacks.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

The New York State Police are also checking to make sure your helmets are DOT approved.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
TideRKC
Tourer

How do they check for a DOT helmet?Just checking for a sticker? I have an ACC helmet and the first thing I did when I got it was take off the sticker. I'm not headed to Americade but since I've heard about so many states cracking down, I'm curious.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like selective enforcement to me. What a crock. Then again, it is the idiotic few that always ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

They will check for a label or decal in addition to some sort of padding.
What they are looking for specifically is the "brain Bucket" type, just a plastic shell with a cloth liner.

Charlie

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
dt20
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jager

Sucks. The solution is to not go. Let the merchants who all of a sudden don't get the ton of revenue from big events like Americade lend their voice.

There are plenty of locales who welcome bikers (who, as a general rule, spend more money than other tourists/travelers).
+1 just boycott it and lack of revenue will take care of it well most of the time unless they get some other event to take its place. but americade has some pretty big shoes to fill. didnt go up last year but was there the week after and that was all we heard about.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats next..."Nice helmet Pu**y"Tee shirts? I saw that trailer one on fender duffle bags on our way home from Sturgis(yes we rode our bikes, but so what, not everyone is ready for that, or maybe they wanna bring their kids too) I think it's rude. JMO

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Lincolnhog
Tourer

In NH, the db limit is 106
I think it is the highest in the country.
I had my tested at the dealer and the service manager
wrote the level on his card and signed it.
I hope this helps.

As for the helmet,,,,kavlar
'n taking my chances

link

Quick Reply: Americade warning