Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack backrest Question/ New 2 piece installation of

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Default Tour Pack backrest Question/ New 2 piece installation of

Folks picked up a new style backrest for my tour pack and i dont know how to install the Bottom back support???? Do i bolt it to the bottom box? The old style was together this is 2 pieces!!! Bought at swap.No instructions and i did a search!!!! Thanks for any info... R.W.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Default RE: Tour Pack backrest Question/ New 2 piece installation of

On the new style tourpaks the bottom piece stays attached to the bottom. The older ones had the bottom attached to the top backrest.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bike you got? The two bolts on your fender and a nut clip in the hole behind your battery?
Edit: Sorry wrong rest.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

RW: I went through the exact installation a couple of months ago. The pad uses two bolts to mount and folds over on itself to conceal the bolt heads. To locate the holes for the bolts, I held the pad above the tour pak, centered the pad side-to-side, and, through trial and error, figured out where the holes would need to be for the pad to fold over itself with the top edge even with the top edge of the tour pak's bottom. Then I marked the location of the holes, did another trial fit, confirmed I had the correct bolt locations, then drilled the holes starting with a very small drill bit, then the bit size for the finished hole. The side of the pad with the seam is the front of the pad, at least it was on mine.

If IIRC, I got the part numbers for the bolts, washers, and acorn nuts at my local HD store and bought them there--you could find what you need at ACE hardware, etc. using the pad to figure out the diameter of the screws/bolts needed.

Since I was replacing a button-look backrest on a TP I had purchased on Ebay, I didn't know the age ofthe TP. Turns out it was a pre-97 TP which was significant since the mounting holes on it were different (higher) than the '97 and later TP's--so I had to drill some more holes to lower the backrest to the correct location. Fortunately, I had my buddy's '06 EG Classic handy to provide measurements for the new hole locations. Not a big issue, and you may not encounter it, but it was a surprise.

Good luck withyour project.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
SBOTI
5th Gear

Okay, so now I have to ask. Does anyone know how to tell the difference in Tour Packs? I had a budy send me one he picked up from a dump site. Great shape and all he could figure out was someone found it in thier garage and placed it on a table for free taking at the dump. Anyway, he sent it to me as I wanted something to pick my 13 year old up on and travel from California to Las Vegas and have a place to store her luggage. I recieved it the other day and I'm working to mount it on my 08' RG. Found out I needed to drill more holes for the new detachable mount but other than that, I found this article and now it's got me thinking about what else I'm going to have to mod. So, back to me original reason for posting..... How do I know what year the King Tour Pack is? It has an area on the bottom of both sides for marker lights and inside is a carbon fiber base plate and it has some small molded in storage spots inside closest to where the back rest will be mounted. Any help on identifying year would be great. Thanks, SBOTI

Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

&lt\\;P&gt\\;This picture helped me a lot! Hope it helps you to!&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;&amp\\;nbsp\\;&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;&lt\\;A href=&quot\\;http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...&lt\\;/P&gt\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
SBOTI
5th Gear

I can seem to see the picture.&nbsp\\; Help.....

Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
SBOTI
5th Gear

Sorry, I meant to say I can't seem to see the picture....

Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

cut and paste the link but go back and remove the extra characters.&nbsp\\; start with http, and end with .jpg and you should see it....

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...6747F78C1C.jpg

Quick Reply: Tour Pack backrest Question/ New 2 piece installation of