Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do LED tail lights look metric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do LED tail lights look metric?

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Frankly - who the flip cares?!?!? If yer gonna worry 'bout junk lahk that, sell the bike an' git back into a cage. Ah don't care what others think of mah bike - it's MINE, ah PAID fer it, an' as long as _I_ like it, that's all that matters.

Now...the LED's - one thing ta consider - LED's are strongly directional, no matter WHAT the marketin' hype'll tell ya - that means that ya do NOT git the general illumination of an incadescent lamp, which is why ah will NOT use 'em on any "key" lamp, such as parking/brake - period.
A lot of the cheap LED lights have very poor visibility angles! But if you get a top notch quality one then you have nothing to worry about. They use automotive grade LEDs that have very wide visibility angles. Hell mine in the day is 10x brighter than a stock lamp and at night watch out it will blind you!!! Got mine from Custom Dynamics http://www.customdynamics.com/harley..._taillight.htmand couldn't be happier! Did lots of research to find the best LEDs on the market and found them! Bought the LED board and installed it myself into my brake ligh housing. Easy install.

Don't get the Kury' LED lamp. It SUCKS. Very cheap LEDs in it.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Step into the current century....LEDs are here to stay. Will only become more mainstream; as they use much less amp draw, they are much more efficient and require less alternator usage (come on say it with me....free horsepower).....hey I can dream right?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
pfd161
Cruiser

What's wrong with metric bikes???

Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jsans

Do LED tail lights give Harleys a metric look? If you check out cars, mostly all car brands with LED tails are imported.

Don't be METRIPHOBIC!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no free lunch. While a more concentrated beam can certainly be beneficial, ya gotta look at the actual power consumption vs the total illumination footprint - somethin' LED proponents studiously avoid. Again - ah ain't totally against 'em, but as with anything else, everything has its' strong and weak points.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
BlackBagger
Cruiser

I bought the front and rear Kuryakyn Panacea set up. When I hit the brakes it flashes 3 times and goes solid. All the lights are always on and turn signal change to amber in the rear and there is a amber signal in the tail light. I don't care what anybody else thinks, traffic behind me notices it and acts correctly. It keeps my better half and myself safe, that's all that matters.

Mg

Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Jsans
Tourer

Metricphobia.......LOL......also thought the Crimson Red Sunglo wheel chair was fckin hilareous! Hope you didn't create that just for me...LOL.

OK, back to the subject. Everyone here sounds so very defensive, I think I hit a nerve. Nobody is accusing all of you LED taillight owners of looking metric.... or am I?

I realize that LEDs are the wave of the future, and are brighter, safer and more functional, and have color options and intelligent control systems, yada, yada, yada.

The question referred to style, not functionality. Traditional Harley style does not include LEDs, but I'm sure it will sometime in the near future, but until then you have to admit........

it's kind of metric-ish.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

I have a smoke LED tail and LED clusters in all for corners. The good stuff. Not that Kuryakyn crap that you can barely see.
What are you using? Linky?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
jaymcgil19
Tourer

Here is another + for LEDs they actually come on quicker than incandescent and in a panic stop it can make a major difference for someone following behind you. Look for someone who has a window LED brake light and incandescent tail lights on their car, when they hit the brakes you will see what I'm talking about. For you guys with the smoked lens and incandescent bulbs, try this 57 LED cluster. All the light you want and covers all angles.
http://www.virtualvillage.com/Items/...ights%20Bright

Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: NoBike58

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

I have a smoke LED tail and LED clusters in all for corners. The good stuff. Not that Kuryakyn crap that you can barely see.
What are you using? Linky?

Custom Dynamics

Radiantz clusters for the turns and Street Magic smoke taillight.

Quick Reply: Do LED tail lights look metric?