Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do LED tail lights look metric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Do LED tail lights look metric?

I recently added the tourpak spoiler with the LED running/brake light....all the rest of my lights are the stock incandescent lights. I agree that LEDs are more limited in who all can see them, but having a mix works really good. The brake light in spoiler is VERY noticeable for someone directly behind me in traffic, and that's what I wanted it for.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a red bagger and I see a lot of red metric cars and bikes around......[sm=ummmmokay.gif].......hmmmmm. Oh crap, I have black tires on my bike and I see lots of those on metrics, too. Not to mention....chrome!

Just dicking with ya! You're gonna give yerself an ulcer if you keep worrying about stuff like this.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

See, that's my dialemma....ah LOVE the LED's - use the LED strobes on the front of the bike - have 'em on the TP an' saddlebags - but if ya go out an' fire off a set of LED lights next ta standard incadescents, then look for the "footprint" of the lights, you'll see a linear illumination of the LED's vs. a "pool" fer the incadescents. An' thar's the rub - iffen ah knew they'd always be in line-of-sight of the LED's, they'd win hands down - but if they ain't, then they git very little observed light from 'em compared ta standard lights. Guess that's why ah mix 'em up - try ta git a bit of both an' take advantage of their unique strengths/weaknesses.....
+1 I tried some LEDs, good ones, not the cheap ones and my 'ol lady thought the brake light wasn't working because she didn't see the road light up out of the corner of her eye. If you were directly behind, bright as could be, off at an angle, couldn't tell the light was on. Mixin' em up is a good idea and I've seen some that have lights on the side, also that you can insert into the lens, I might look into those. As far as lookin' metric, way less to me than some of the other bizarre things I've seen done and I doubt you'll get mistaken for another brand, in fact, most people mistake the metrics for Harleys, not the other way around

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More like digital than metric.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Bucky0126
3rd Gear

I bought a Kuryakin LED tail light. I have had numerous people tell me they can't see the brake lights during the day...something to consider.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

GOOD LED's - that's the key. So many of the aftermarket mfr's stick a led into sumthin' an' toss it on the shelf - an' therein lies the danger. I run a Whelen LED light bar on the front of my UC - had it customized to full amber so it'd be usable in case we have a rider down, or other reason to try to get folks' attention. That light bar is $400 - I can buy the LED pods w/controller for half that.....an' the difference is obvious. Like anything else, folks'll make 'em as cheap as they can!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the GOOD LED statements. When people ask how much they were I've had them laugh and tell me how much cheaper they got theirs. Then we turn em on and take a look. Night and day difference. You usually get what you pay for!

And NO I don't think they make my Harley look like a metric. [sm=wtf.gif]

Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get used to them, the days of the incandescent bulb are numbered.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A single tail light will not make a Harley look metric.

If it keeps you from being tail-ended, i'd say it's doing its job pretty well.

But if you're more worried about looks than safety, don't bother wasting the money.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are a great form and function item, period.
I don't care for the flash feature, it distracts the other riders in your group.

Quick Reply: Do LED tail lights look metric?