Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotors floating vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rotors floating vs OEM

I put on the HD floaters and my breaks stoped squeaking.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
waterboyjack
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: davewear

just be aware that HD floating rotors are not true floaters. they are 2 piece rotors that are hard rivited together. i have some because my stock rotors were toast but i got the HD floaters cause i liked the look. the lyndall pads are what make the braking better.

they are solidly connected so there is no movement. check the price for HD "floaters" vs a floater from lyndall or performance machine, there is a reason the HD's are so cheap.....
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
Uh, Dave, Uh the HD rotors that I got are "true floaters". Rivets are NOT set to "bond the inner and outer portion of the rotor" there are spring washers on the inside surface of the rotor captured in the rivet that apply enough pressure to the rotor to help keep it from being sloppy, BUT......I Can move the outer "floating" portion of my rotor by hand, not much, but some. I wish I would of taken a picture before I installed them a lot more difficult to get one of the inside of the rotor now that it is on the bike.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
HOOSIER
Intermediate

I put on the HD floating rotors on my 07 and it stopped the sqeeking that the stock rotors made. I really dont feel to much difference in braking performance but they look 100% better!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
waterboyjack
Intermediate

Did you put on LRB pads???? I used gold + and the bike really stops alot sooner!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:24 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

ORIGINAL: waterboyjack

ORIGINAL: davewear

just be aware that HD floating rotors are not true floaters. they are 2 piece rotors that are hard rivited together. i have some because my stock rotors were toast but i got the HD floaters cause i liked the look. the lyndall pads are what make the braking better.

they are solidly connected so there is no movement. check the price for HD "floaters" vs a floater from lyndall or performance machine, there is a reason the HD's are so cheap.....
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Uh, Dave, Uh the HD rotors that I got are "true floaters". Rivets are NOT set to "bond the inner and outer portion of the rotor" there are spring washers on the inside surface of the rotor captured in the rivet that apply enough pressure to the rotor to help keep it from being sloppy, BUT......I Can move the outer "floating" portion of my rotor by hand, not much, but some. I wish I would of taken a picture before I installed them a lot more difficult to get one of the inside of the rotor now that it is on the bike.
&nbsp\\;
kewl! i didn't see any true floaters offered by HD, good to know they have some.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:20 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Put Lyndalls on the bike at 1000 miles cleaned the guide pins that took care of the squeek and brake dust on my WWW. Changed the rear to HD floater when I did the IDS, this took care of shimmy on rear brake. Will put the fronts on next Friday when I switch to Avon Venoms, I expect this will be an improvement over the front socks as well. Next Chrome calipers and stainless brake lines. All HD and they look good.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No need to put on floating rotors to cure the squeals.&nbsp\\; A set of Kevlar pads will quieten things down.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Floating rotors = more expensive
&nbsp\\;
My car's disc brakes don't have floating rotors and they work just fine.
&nbsp\\;
If the wheel is true then the HD rotors are more than adequate to do the job.&nbsp\\; Maybe not on a racing-type sport bike.