Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT END WOBBLE ON MY RK

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
FEAR
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FRONT END WOBBLE ON MY RK

ITS AN 06 WITH 6K MILES ON IT, TIRES LOOKGOOD I INSPECTED THEM, I DONT THINK THE NECK IS BAD, IT FEELS CORRECT OTHERWISE.

I AM GOING TO TRY TO GET THE TIRE BALANCED AND SEE IF THAT DOES IT

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tire balance never creates a weave/ wobble, if it's bad enough it makes the wheel vibrate in a vertical plane, though. Think about it; the imbalance creates forces in a vertical plane, only.
If the tires are getting a flat spot fromprimarily straight- up/ highwayriding, that will create a weave;
Your tire pressures are alsotoo high, they should be 36/ 36 for a solo rider/ 40 rear for two- up. The high pressures may havecreated the flat spot in the middle of the tread sooner, too. Try the proper tire pressures, if that doesn't help, new tires may be the only answer.
All that said, the touring chassis sucks for high speed stability, as most know. Better shocks in back with more damping and taller ride height helped my electra glide quite a bit. I use 13.5" Progressive Suspension items. Enough improvement that I'm not going to bother with the frame stabilizer.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
FEAR
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I HAVE PROGRESSIVE SHOCK IN THE BACK, I KEEP THE TIRE PRESSURE HIGH BECAUSE I AM LIKE 330 LBS MY WIFE IS 140 SO THATS ALMOST 500 LBS WHEN WE ARE 2 UP

Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 AM
DWhite
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I will tell you I had the exact same thing on my bike for a few years. I had it in the shop 2-3 times the first year asking the dealership to identify the problem. They never could. they actually said they never could duplicate the problem. Go figure.

My bike anywhere from 72-85 mph would develop a front end wobble. Sometimes it would be bad enough that I would have to slow down. Now, that is what sucks since I am comfortable crusing on the highway at 75-80. The woibble was not all the time but it happened more times than not.

There are so many thing sit could be. All the suggestions I got nothing seemed to help. Rear end out of alignment, tire wear, steering neck bearings. on and on. I can not say for sure what the definitive answer was for fixing mine but I can tell you that I recently dropped my fork legs to put a new seal on it (the forks were leaking) and since putting it back together I have not had any problems with wobbling. That leads me to believe that it was 1 of 2 things...The front tire was not aligned correctly and now it is or adding the correct amount of fork oil helped. I dont think the 2nd one really matters. So, I deduct that my front tire was out of alignment.

Get a manual. Adjust your tire alignment and see if that helps. That will be the easiest and the cheapest thing to diagnose.

Hope this helps as I know I finally get to enjoy my bike running at those speeds. It is almost like a new bike